Battery case and cover poor design

Started by MikeScoot, April 16, 2020, 12:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeScoot

I'm pretty sure I would not be the only one here with a battery set-up that conflicts with the left side cover. Both my bikes had cracked covers due to this.
So my purpose for posting is to enquire as to whether anyone has an elegant solution to this problem.

Cheers,
Mike
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

MikeScoot

Just did a three-part fix which works well to keep enough clearance between the battery cover and the side cover.

Step one was to readjust (bend inward slightly) the frame mount that accepts the top battery box screw.

Step two was to connect the battery box (where it's rearward cover screw mounts) to the frame where a bolt holds the rear plastic mudguard. I used wire to do this though I'm still thinking of a better solution to this bit. I heated a scew, while holding it in a pair of vice-grips, and used it to melt a small channel which allows the wire to sit flush near the screw hole for the battery cover. The wire pulls the battery box inward and away from the side cover.

Step three was to use a small torch to gently heat, soften and bend a part of the battery cover where it was making contact with the side cover (near the battery cover rearward screw).

There is now good clearance and the side cover sits there very happily where it should be.

Mike

injuhneer

- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

Inheritance

Yup -- as soon as I noticed a hairline crack (and it's never spread since) I started to place the corner of the battery cover over top the side panel. Elegant? No, but it hardly affects the overall aesthetics.

SonnyT

I never had a problem with the original size battery, but changing to a lithium ion battery (Battery Tender brand) was well worth it. The battery is about half the size and one third the weight, plus higher cold cranking amps so starting is easier. Also it holds it's charge seemingly forever.

MikeScoot

Quote from: injuhneer on June 30, 2020, 10:54:20 AM
Photos?

This is not a 'pretty' fix but you'll get the idea.
The first photo shows (just to the right of the batt. terminal) that the cover now has an inward curve.
The second photo shows the wire sitting in a channel melted into the plastic so that the cover can be installed almost flush with the battery holder.

Pretty rough, but it's all hidden behind the side cover.