Need a Measurement of Distance Between Triple Clamps

Started by kevin g, April 25, 2020, 06:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin g

I just installed All Balls Racing tapered roller bearings in my 83.  It seems like the are a little higher on the top and make the upper triple clamp sit higher by several millimeters.  I measure 208mm (8.188") from the top surface of the lower clamp, right where it grips the fork tube, to the bottom of the upper clamp right where it grips the fork.

Would someone with factory steering bearings make this measurement so I can see if there is a difference.

I did not make note of how high it sat before disassembly.  The Haynes manual photo shows several threads visible above the top nut but that is not the case with mine now.

auto

The races are differant,you will have switch top to bottom. Ask me how I know

kevin g

I am talking about a replacement set of tapered roller bearings, not the OEM ball bearings.  I know that the OEM lower race is thicker.  The races for the tapered bearings are the same thickness.

The bottom bearings have a larger diameter inner race than the top so it is obvious if they are swapped.  Mine are not swapped.

All I want to know is what the distance between the triple clamps is with the OEM bearings.