1983 - How to replace broken plastic nipple on bottom of front carb drain?

Started by b727plumber, May 11, 2020, 04:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b727plumber

Resurrecting my 1983 Vision and wanted to ask how others have replaced/fixed the broken plastic front carb drain nipple that points down?  There doesn't seem to be a specific part number to this plastic piece.

Thanks for any help!

MikeScoot

An easy fix would be to plug the broken part and then put a 'T' connector on the line that connects both carb drains and connect the front end of that line to the other (unbroken) front nipple. The down part of the 'T' would then be used to connect to the main drain line which runs down the frame on its way to the never-never (outback).
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

Walt_M.

Having broken one of these myself, the T breaks off at the float bowl and you have to remove the broken stub and replace the whole thing. I was in the process of replacing the carbs and didn't worry about fixing it but it still pissed me off. I have heard of aquarium parts as a source but can't confirm.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

If the entire fitting is snapped off it would probably be best to replace it with a metal nipple from an old carb - almost any old carb. Metal would be best because it would be fuel safe and not degrade. They (nipples) are usually just an interference fit and can be easily removed by heating the carb with a torch and tugging on the nipple (  :-)  ). Of course the size would need to be right or the hole drilled (  :-)  ) to suit the new nipple.

0.2mm interference would probably do the trick, but someone else may know better.
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

fret not

While I was trying to make my carbs functional one of those T fittings broke off, so I took a piece of brass tubing (easily available at hardware and hobby(model) stores) and heated it so it melted the plastic body of the fitting and the brass tube slipped in where the plastic cooled and hardened around the brass.  Once the thing has cooled just cut the brass tube to the desired length.  I repaired a couple of these before I started adapting "new" carbs.  It is a fairly simple and easy process that saves the part. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

b727plumber

Thanks for all the replies!  When I get the carbs off, I will see which option might work best and report back.

fret not

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!