News:

Main Menu

'82 issues

Started by Roc, July 01, 2003, 12:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hi all, being new here and al that I thought I'd sign up and say "Hi!"

That being done I need to ask a question. I just got a '82 off my dad that hasn't been running for the last few years (well, ok, about 15 years, but who's counting.) I cleaned it up and freed up all the stuck parts and managed to get it running, but only on the rear cylinder. since the exhaust is basicly rotted away, it's too loud to run up the rev range, but I'm sure the front one fires every now and then, just not all the time and when it's suposed to. I do have the service manual for it, and all the tools that one could ask for, I just don't have the money to go replacing the computer or anything... are there any work arounds? any suggestions of what I should check next?

Thanks in advance!
Jerry

Sable

Not being the best mechanic on the board, here are a few suggestions. if you haven't done so already:

put new plugs in it
    add an in line fuel filter
    dip the carbs
    clean the electrical connections
    make sure you have a battery that has a good charge
    Visit the Vision Resource Site top 10 Vision Problems and Solutions:
         http://www.geocities.com/lucky_142/top.html
                      (free plug for Lucky ;D)

The most significant problem with bikes that have been sitting is that the carbs have gotten all plugged up. Like I said, these are the basic things that I have done or am planning to do (haven't gotten around to cleaning the carbs yet).

Good luck with it!!!
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

sdinino

JSable said it - carbs, carbs, carbs. It's unlikely the TCI (computer) is to blame since you got it to run somewhat - from what I've read these either work or they die totally.

If you're not up to rebuilding the carbs yourself, email Lucky. He rebuilds them on the side and knows them inside out.
-- Steve D

Roc

QuoteNot being the best mechanic on the board, here are a few suggestions. if you haven't done so already:

? ?put new plugs in it
done
Quote? ?add an in line fuel filter
I cleaned the tank and put in fresh (filtered) fuel
Quote? ?dip the carbs
HuH??? ???
Quote? ?clean the electrical connections
did that while the battery was on the charger
Quote? ?make sure you have a battery that has a good charge
did that while adding dielectric grease to ALL the fittings
Quote? ?Visit the Vision Resource Site top 10 Vision Problems and Solutions:
 ? ? ? ? http://www.geocities.com/lucky_142/top.html
 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?(free plug for Lucky ;D)
didn't know about that site... thanks!
QuoteThe most significant problem with bikes that have been sitting is that the carbs have gotten all plugged up. Like I said, these are the basic things that I have done or am planning to do (haven't gotten around to cleaning the carbs yet).

Good luck with it!!!

First thing I did was to put the battery on a charger and then go over the entire electrical system. Knowing that sitting for 15 years the gas in the tank was probably bad I found a dumping place for it and cleaned out the tank( the tank was full the entire time, thus no rust! :D ) the next thing was the carbs but I didn't do much there, just a little methyl hydrate and hope for the best. after that I put everything back together, put new gas in, and fired her up. everything worked except the front cyl. the tach and the low beam. the tach was just sticky and the low beam burnt out when I was in the headlight. I've just gotten in from outside and now I can tell that the front is kicking in at about 3000rpm, and it doesn't kick out until it gets down to about 2250.

but, Dip the Carb? how?

Lucky

Try this, especially since you were having Tach troubles:
Disconnect the yellow wire with the black stripe on the six wire connector on the TCI (black box under the right side cover)  The wire comes from the Tach and triggers the rev limiter, which cuts out the front cylinder over 12,000 rpm.  it is common for this circut to fail and cause the problems you describe.

this is where they are:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/JET_AV8R/Vision/PlugDiag.html

"dipping" the carbs refers to completely disassembling the carbs andf dipping them in a solvent/acid solution to clean out the passages.  They come out as clean as when they were new.

Email me if your intererested in my carb rebuild service.  I can rebuild yours or offer an exchange.

--Lucky  luckyvision@hotmail.com
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Roc

The Tach issue was just that it was sticking... I popped it open and used my finger to free it up a bit, but I will try that yellow wire thing. I'll only take the carbs off if I have to, as I know they are a complicated thing, and being a starving student I wish I could afford to send my carbs to you ?:-/ hopefully I can get these issues worked out so I can take my car off the road and use the bike daily!

Thanks again! :)

QBS

This tip might do you a little good on the carb problem.  Before you go through all the trouble/learning process of disassembling and dipping the carbs, 1)  disconnect the carb fuel lines, 2) use the carb drain screws to drain each carb, leave the screws open, 3)  use a very small funnel to refill the carbs with Berrymans Chemtool #12 or your favorite equivalent carb cleaner, 3) after both carbs show cleaner coming out of the drain lines, close the drain screws and fill both carbs with pure carb carb cleaner, 4) let the carbs sit for several days filled with carb cleaner, 5) drain the cleaner(note its color if you can) and either refill with fresh cleaner and then reconnect the fuel lines or just connect the lines and refill from the tank with the petcock in the "prime" position, 6) evaluate engine operation.

If you haven't got a Haynes manual, get one.  If you haven't bright and shiney cleaned the spark coil connections in the steering head area, do so.  Cheers.

Roc

I haven't got the haynes manual, but I do have the factory manual that has the bad binding...

Jerry

Lucky

Also, cleaning out the tank is not enough, you Must install an inline fuel filter.  some of the passages in the carbs are small enough to be clogged by the finest of particals.  Think of it as cheap insurance.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

What part of Canada are you in ? Maybe  we can hook you up with a Visionary, who can help you.  
In the end you WILL have to dip the carbs, when these things sit around  for long periods of time  the carbs really go sour. When i first got mine  I jollyed it along by adding carb/ injector cleaner to the gas .  It helped for a while , but the next spring it ran so poory I broke down and rebuilt them.  Drop Lucky an email, his prices are very reasonable and  may be in your budget.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Roc

I'm on the west coast, well, just off the west coast on Vancouver Island. My Dad is planning a trip to Cagary at the end of next week that I'm hoping to count myself in on, but he wants to make sure that his BMW can keep up to me, and he wants to make sure that the bike is safe enough. No sense trying to go 2000kms, when you can only get 500 before a serious repair is needed...

I just got off the phone with someone selling his vision, so now I have something to look forward to for tomorrow! looks like I may have a garage full by the end of the week!

oh, and I'll see about the fuel filters tomorrow when I check out the bikes...

Rick G

Your not so far from me, I'm  outside of Salem Oregon. Some time this summer I'm going to ride up to Port Townsend WA. to see a friend maybe we can meet up.
Thats a great Idea to have a spare even two!  Eveny Visionary should have a parts bike.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike