News:

Main Menu

YICS

Started by timovision, June 27, 2003, 04:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timovision

Just repaired my YICS and WOW :o what a difference.
Everyone who says that thing absolutely can't leak wasn't
kidding.  My idle went from bouncing around like a rubber ball
to being as steady as a rock!  I did skimp on Lucky's
instructions a little though since the parts store wasn't
stocking any gasket material that was specifically fuel
resistant.  I just put a bead of some of the orange gasket
maker (fuel resist) that they sell at Autozone along the seam
and it seems as good as new.  Does anyone know if cutting
out a gasket from the gasket-material is somehow better/more
durable?
Tim

sdinino

I can't tell you about durable - I'm on my 3d YICS repair job. I've tried fuel resistant gasket maker, epoxy, and now this one looks like its leaking again. If anyone has any hints on how to make this permenant I'd love to hear them.
-- Steve D

Lucky

yeah, use gasket material :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Regular gasket material is not going to give any problems. I cut carb float bowl gaskets from it  and it does not deterorate, at all!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

sdinino

How to you keep enough pressure on the gaskets to prevent leakage? I don't want to really crank down on those screws since they're only threading into plastic.

Thats why I went the glue route. Figured it'd give a better seal.
-- Steve D

Lucky

Go to my site and look at the gasket I have on there. you can glue it in & it'll never move.  the extra "supports" are there to geep the long walls from blowing out which is what happened on my first attempt without them.  Very Importaint: >> don't forget the washers around the 2 screws
--Lucky

QBS

Would Yamabond #4 do the job in this application? It certainly is fuel and heat resistant.  Many old time pro Yamaha technicians swear by it.  Cheers.

Lucky

The key to a good seal is a straight cut. Jason says if you wack the corner of the YICS! with a hammer it will split open, I haven't had any luck doing this, but maybe that's just me.

If you use a gasket AND sealer, I don't think you'll ever have to worry about it again. Yamabond should work

bikehandle

Luckys right about the straight cut being the key! I've rebuilt several of these, each time trying to modify luckys instructions and had no luck getting them to hold. when I did as told, it held better but still failed after a while. I took it apart and looked hard at the cut, it was cut on a bandsaw. I thought it was straight, but I noticed the cut was rough. I took both halves and put them on my four inch band sander, till I could mate them together, and not see any light along the seams. ( those of you without the band sander could use fine sandpaper lain on a piece of glass or other flat surface and lap each half) it takes out the imperfections and gives a great seal! After getting it together I had my girl friend do a vacume test test on it! after that, it will hold anything the V can throw at it!!! ::)
god, save me from my fondest wish!

Lucky

You had your girlfriend do a vaccume test on it?  Ok, am I turning into the dirty old man I always wanted to be, or what?
 :o
--Lucky

sdinino

That's gotta be it. My pre-installation QA technique is flawed!  :D

Guess I'll try again with the spare YICS. Thanks for the info.
-- Steve D