Protection for freshly polished engine alloy bits - any suggestions?

Started by MikeScoot, May 17, 2020, 07:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeScoot

Yamaha have a very long and great history in casting metals and very making nice things, so I'm sure there is a good reason for them having made the heads, barrels and side cases from an alloy that seems so reactive to water. Maybe it is just the rain around where I live, but one good wetting and I get white stains all over the otherwise brilliant alloy.

Anyway, to get to the point; does anyone know any neat tricks to help those engine bits fare better in the weather?

Cheers,
Mike
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

The Prophet of Doom

I've used ACF-50 for ages and it (almost) completely prevented rust on my bare steel tank for 4 years.
You could also check out XCP Rustblocker or Gibbs brand - neither of these I can get here

kevin g

Here in the states I can get a bare metal clear coat from Eastwood (automotive re-finish supplies).  When I get to the stage in my project where I restore the cast bits I plan to spray them with this coating.  The stock engine pieces had a clear coat at the factory and I can only imagine that todays coatings are better than forty years ago.

Another product I like on things is Protect-All.  It is a cleaner and protective coating I put on all kinds of bike parts after a wash.

MikeScoot

Thanks Rohan and Kevin.
I'll drop by the automotive paint supply shop today.

I'm particularly interested in something oily that could be recoated after washing and would not allow corrosion below its surface, but a clearcoat might do the trick. Clearcoat is holding up well - so far - on my fork legs.

Cheers

MikeScoot

A colleague recommended a product called "Purple". Reckons it helps prevent alloy corrosion. I checked it out at the local auto supply joint and also found a couple of Autosol products which claim to also protect - not simply polish by abrasion.
Then I found an Australian product called "Bowdens" which makes the same claim. Wanting to support local Australian manufacturers, I bought the Bowdens.
Will report back later on how the alloy holds up with this, somewhat expensive, stuff.
Cheers

fret not

Since the advent of pressure washers there has been significant development of additives for keeping fleet trucks clean and shiny, so I suggest checking out pressure washing chemicals.  A saw a listing for "brighteners" that might help.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

WGuaire

Quote from: Prophet Of Doom on May 17, 2020, 07:48:50 AM
I've used ACF-50 for ages and it (almost) completely prevented rust on my bare steel tank for 4 years.
You could also check out XCP Rustblocker or Gibbs brand - neither of these I can get here

I've used ACF-50 with success.

MikeScoot

Thanks for that info about  ACF-50. Does it work to protect alloy? I have no real problem with rust - only with aluminium alloy corrosion.

:-) BTW I received my "Trump card" for my War Against Corrosion today. Muhahahaha. It is a 3x4.5 metre steel framed gazebo with side walls. I'll leave it open-sided most of the time but the 'walls' will really come in handy for future spray work. Muhahahahaha

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: MikeScoot on May 21, 2020, 03:56:43 AM
Does it work to protect alloy? I have no real problem with rust - only with aluminium alloy corrosion.
It's safe to use on all metals and even electrical.  Brilliant stuff.  Just keep it off your brakes

MikeScoot

lolololol Sounds like a miracle cure for just about anything. I'm now convinced it needs further looking into.
Cheers.  :-)

Getting a bit chilly here on the western island. You get snow over where you are?

The Prophet of Doom

I lived in Queensland for a while, people started wearing fur at 25 degrees.  That's a warm summer day here.  Not often snow on the coast where we are, but certainly inland.
-3 this morning I heard

MikeScoot

I can report that the Bowdens gave little or no protection for alloy corrosion from rain water.
I can also report, somewhat happily, that I have deployed the big guns in my war on corrosion in the form of a 3x4.5 metre steel-framed gazebo.
Muhahahaha.

@ Prophet Rohan;
-3C is getting a bit on the cold side. Getting pretty cool here too, but nowhere near that - nevertheless I'm wearing thermal undies 'cos I'm a tightass and haven't started running any heating here yet.

injuhneer

Quote from: kevin g on May 17, 2020, 11:16:10 AM
Here in the states I can get a bare metal clear coat from Eastwood (automotive re-finish supplies).  When I get to the stage in my project where I restore the cast bits I plan to spray them with this coating.  The stock engine pieces had a clear coat at the factory and I can only imagine that todays coatings are better than forty years ago.

Another product I like on things is Protect-All.  It is a cleaner and protective coating I put on all kinds of bike parts after a wash.

+1 and get the high temp version.

- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ