News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Transmission mods?

Started by breitert, May 24, 2020, 07:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

breitert

Has anyone tried to add a tooth to the Vision tranny? My 82.5 Vision(with dealer upgrades) does over 6k rpm at the current Texas 70 mph speed limits. Due to the shaft drive I don't see any other mod? 

I am the original owner and have been restoring my Vision for the past yr, after 20 yrs in storage.  I have had it running but am now working on the valve shim adjustments.

auto

There is a Euro rear with a different  ratio that will bring the RPMs down.Do a search for more info. As for rpms I wouldn't worry with a 10k red line

fiat-doctor

+1 Don't worry about it...  it's fine as it is.

There is a different (euro) primary gear set that will lower the rpms at cruise a little bit.
It's not a huge difference but does make the bike a little more relaxed.
Once you find the part number for it, I believe you will find it is the same as some other usa
Yamaha... A big single if I remember correctly.

jefferson

The euro gear set would lower your cruise rpm by around 3-400. I have 2 sets, 1 of which I would part with. I got the last set out of England and that was many moons ago. I should be able to come up with a part number for you if you want to search around.

Walt_M.

I too bought a used Euro gear set but I didn't install it for 2 reasons, 1-the clutch basket is more notched than I am comfortable with and 2-you get to replace the water pump seals whenever you remove and replace the clutch cover. My recommendation, go one up on the rear tire size and be happy.
Whale oil beef hooked!

The Prophet of Doom

Walt, the water pump seal is only about $5 , no reason not to change gearing.
If your gearset is too dodgy to use I've got a spare Eur/Aus gear set I'm willing to swap for US one

The Prophet of Doom

By the way, a middle gear swap is not the only possible mod.  Back in the 80s Greg Stephenson built a racebike with a RD400 6-speed transmission in it.  Unsurprisingly it also ended up as a chain drive.

Walt_M.

Rohan, it's not the price of the seal but the work involved to get to it. As for the gears, they are fine and I can always swap the clutch basket if I were to decide to do it. but the intriguing part is the possibility of a six speed. RD400s are kind of a precious commodity over here but there are a lot of Banshee 4 wheelers, hmmm
Whale oil beef hooked!

George R. Young

Quote from: Prophet Of Doom on May 25, 2020, 05:44:31 AM
. . . Back in the 80s Greg Stephenson built a racebike with a RD400 6-speed transmission in it. . . .
The Vision desperately needed a six speed transmission. Five speeds is ok for a car, not a (somewhat) sporting motorcycle.

auto

I thought the euro gearing change was the rear itself.Your saying it's the clutch basket gear and primary crank gear.

fret not

The RD400 transmission idea has been raised previously and mostly discounted.  To fit a transmission from a RD400 would take some serious machining skills because you can't just put those parts into the XZ cases.  If someone knows how this was supposedly accomplished I would be eager to learn how they did it. :police:

I think it would be easier to graft a SV650 motor into the frame, but then why?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Kenny

I have Euro gearing in two of our 83's , what a difference it makes for long distance touring.
  Not sure why one would want to change the water pump seal as it is on the opposite crankcase cover.
    After SS brake lines this is a great Mod. ;)
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

WGuaire

How did the steel lines work?

Walt_M.

Uh, my water pump is on the right side, along with the primary gears. Kenny, I just re-read your post and, since you've done it twice, I bow to your greater knowledge. I have a better looking clutch basket on the way. So maybe I will do this after all.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Kenny

These Visions are how Old .... One of the first things to consider if you are going to ride on the street is Stainless Steel brake lines . In the Aircraft industry all rubber products are dated in the 1/4 of the  year they are produced and cannot be used if more than a few years old. :)
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: auto on May 25, 2020, 10:02:08 AM
I thought the euro gearing change was the rear itself. You're saying it's the clutch basket gear and primary crank gear.

That's correct.  There are three different ratios XZ400 (7.08), US (6.56), Eur/Aus (6.28) all done at the clutch
The transmission and rear gearing is identical across all models.  Tyre sizing makes a difference also

breitert

All -Thanks for the great input on the tranny question. If I followed the thread correctly it sounds like a Euro Spec clutch or primary drive gear would help lower the RPMs across the range?
Profit of Doom, is that the part you are offering to exchange?

injuhneer

Quote from: Prophet Of Doom on May 25, 2020, 04:55:58 AM
Walt, the water pump seal is only about $5 , no reason not to change gearing.
If your gearset is too dodgy to use I've got a spare Eur/Aus gear set I'm willing to swap for US one

I have an entire US spare. If no one else take the Aus gears I'd be interested.

Addressing the original comment; here is Arizona speed limit is 75mph. 75mph is a lot of buzz and vibration. Considering the bike was built when the USA speed limit was 55mph the jump to 75mph is quite a bit.

If this change can be done at the clutch that seems simple enough.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: breitert on May 27, 2020, 12:40:11 PM
Gone I'm afraid, but they do pop up from time to time

injuhneer

Quote from: Prophet Of Doom on July 03, 2020, 06:31:17 AM
Quote from: breitert on May 27, 2020, 12:40:11 PM
Gone I'm afraid, but they do pop up from time to time

I used to know some guys in the gear biz. Maybe they could make a set if I can get the dimensions.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ