News:

Main Menu

LED turn signals?

Started by briandneville, May 31, 2020, 02:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briandneville

Just spent the weekend failing to swap to LED bulbs in the turn signals for no reason other than I thought they looked cooler.  Installed one resistor near the headlight for one front signal.  The light flashed on and off, flickering a bit when on, then intermittently stopped flashing, then started flashing again.  The resistor got a little warm but not 'hot' as warned. I know that a resistor is needed at each bulb location, I just didn't go that far.  Judging the original set up to be better than what i was getting, I put the halogen bulb back in, cut out the resistor and called it a day.

Anyone ever have any luck making this work?
How did it come to this?

jefferson

Another way to go is a flasher unit that is compatible with led's. I just did all the rear bulbs in my 91 Legacy sport sedan to led's and the auto parts store had the flasher in stock, in fact the thing would work with any of the bulbs.

Rikugun

Besides looking cool, LED's consume less power making it available for other fun things like gigantic cooling fans and heated gear in the cool months.  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

kevin g

The LEDs should work with the stock flasher, they will just run fast.  Replacing the flasher with the LED specific one should be all that is needed, the flasher cancelling unit should not care what bulbs are in there.

briandneville

One week later...
Took Jefferson's advice and after some strange turns and twists I succeeded! I bought an LED flasher unit online from superbrightleds.com, model name FL3-RED and it didn't work when installed in the 'correct' orientation, but when I rotated it 90 degrees, leaving one of it's leads hanging off the side, and tired the turn signals they all flashed normally.  I don't know if the cancelling unit works but I am happy with the result.  In case anyone else wants to burn a few more hours.

Thanks Jefferson for the suggestion.
How did it come to this?

jefferson

Glad things worked out for you. Kind of weird what you had to do to get it to work.