News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

New engine

Started by DBVision510, June 06, 2020, 10:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBVision510

Well, after a few months of relatively smooth riding, the Vision quit on me while I was out on a ride with a buddy. It was a touch over 90 degrees and she died at a stop sign on a country road. After getting the bike back to the house I started to do some research and dig into the bike a bit. Pretty sure she ate a rod bearing. There was a good bit of brass colored metal shavings in the oil filter and what I can only describe as a "death clack" coming from the engine when trying to get it started.

I decided that I would just drop the engine and do a rebuild. Then I found a local(ish) lower mileage engine online that came with a warranty and decided to pull the trigger on it. Today I will be receiving said motor with a mere 25k miles on it and will begin the process of doing the engine swap. My plan is to move all of my upgraded parts to the new motor and (hopefully) end up with a running bike again. I will be disassembling the old motor to use the good components as parts. Before installing the new unit I will be checking the valve clearances, doing a compression test or leak-down if I can manage to procure an air compressor, and general inspection of the engine.

Is there anything else I should be keeping an eye out for when I receive the motor?

WGuaire

Sounds like you're doing a good job.

Walt_M.

This might be a good place to share some I found in the RK manual. The RJ and RK crankshafts are not interchangeable. The RK crank is stamped with a 2. Factory says no go.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

Good find on the motor, and you said it comes with warranty. Excellent.
Will you be installing the 'new' motor 'as is' or swapping parts between the two motors as I think you said?

Good luck with it!
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

MikeScoot

Quote from: DBVision510 on June 06, 2020, 10:53:49 AM

Is there anything else I should be keeping an eye out for when I receive the motor?

You may know already, but the plumbing that attaches to the rear cyl. exhaust is a bit problematic. If the 'new ' motor already has these rear exhaust bits in place then take good care of them. Some of this bits are pretty hard to get, and expensive if you do find them.

Polishing bits is also a lot easier before the motor is installed - especially the top bits of the motor.

Painting the starter motor and surrounding casings would also be best done with the motor free of the bike. I regret not having done mine when I swapped motors.

Cheers,
Mike
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

The Prophet of Doom

It's worth checking what you can swap over without voiding the warranty. You can always put your upgrades in wrapping for a rainy day.
Even at 25k it's well worth doing the stator bolts

Rikugun

Quote from: DBVision510 on June 06, 2020, 10:53:49 AM

Stator condition and starter clutch connection are Vision weak spots. I'm not familiar with the work you've done so maybe you planned on swapping those bits already.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan