News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

How to replace a specific gasket

Started by b727plumber, June 08, 2020, 12:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b727plumber

In the process of disassembling my '83 carbs to clean them, I took the secondary venturi out of the throat of the carb and in doing so, the small black gasket between that part and the wall of the carb bore split in two.

I think it is part #37 on the carb illustration (part # 11H-14198-00-00), but it doesn't seem available either through Yamaha or Partzilla, etc.

Any ideas on how to replace this small gasket?  Or make one??

Thanks!

Jeff

MikeScoot

Not sure if it will help you, but bearing supply shops here in Aust. often have a HUGE array of O-Rings, seals and associated stuff. They also have pretty good libraries of available parts from suppliers.
It might be worth taking the bits down to them and asking advice there.
Alternatively, if you have small enough hole-punches you might be able to just make one from gasket paper. I believe cork is best for fuel, but it is a very small gasket and working with thin cork might be tricky.

Good luck!
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

The Prophet of Doom

What Mike said, but perhaps easier to get metric seals anywhere in the world except USA.  There's one on ebay if that's easier
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Yamaha-1982-83-XZ550-Carburetor-Carb-O-Ring-Gasket-11H-14198-00-NEW-OEM-/184087585930

kevin g

You might try your local hardware store for fiber washers.  Or even a local auto parts store might be able to help.

b727plumber

Thanks for all your replies.  I stopped by the auto parts store and bought some float gasket material.  Will give that a try.