News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Unusual Engine Noise

Started by kevin g, July 10, 2020, 06:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin g

Now that I have my 1983 Vision running I have been riding it a bit.  Once the DMV opens for regular business I can go get a title and registration.

The last couple of rides I have noticed and strange rhythmic whirring sound.  I first noticed it when I came to a stop and it would be there for a few seconds and then stop and everything sounds normal.  The last ride I tried to diagnose a bit more and it was there at low speeds and I thought it might be a sound from the front brakes but it is there after a complete stop so nothing but the engine is rotating.

The bike runs great and idles nice and smooth.  It does not seem to be reproduceable just sitting and revving the engine, it only happens when ridden and slowing down.  It is not possible to hear it at higher speeds because everything else is louder so I have no idea if it is there all the time.  IT stops after a few seconds at idle so it does not seem to be mechanical.

jefferson

You might put the bike on the center stand and go through the gears that way and see what you can hear. Apply the brakes gently as they will really overpower the rear wheel since there isn't any mass to stop per se. I can't imagine what would keep spinning after coming to a stop. Maybe the clutch as the reverse forces on it are doing something.

fret not

Radiator fan?  Need more clues.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

fret not

Since this happens when coming to a stop I think it might be the transmission almost in/out of gear.  The main shaft spins with the clutch basket inertia and is coupled to the crank shaft, so it is spinning as long as the engine is running.  The counter shaft / output shaft is coupled to the rear wheel via the drive shaft and middle gear.  Engine speed controls the main shaft and road speed controls the counter shaft.  I have a feeling that when you shift "out" of gear (into neutral) when coming to a stop that the shift drum is not completely set at a prescribed detent position.  Like getting a false neutral between gears, except it is just not quite totally in the neutral position and the dogs on the gears can rub against the opposing set of dogs.  Does this sound happen when the neutral light is ON?

An important point about shifting gears is that the shift lever be moved firmly and securely into the 'next' position.  NOT stomped or jammed because the speed of that motion transfers motion to the shift drum, and the inertia of that part rotating can carry over a bit just past it's intended detent position, leaving gears slightly out of position and they can rub.:police:

Or maybe the noise is coming from a harmonic resonance of some body part(s).

Walt_M.

Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

" strange rhythmic whirring sound"

Or something rubbing on a wheel while braking?

It could be the tool kit buzzing under the seat, being excited by a resonant frequency, or loose parts in the exhaust, system or . . .

I guess we will just wait until we hear what causes the noise. 8)

pinholenz

I have had a similar noise on my machine as well; it was erratic and usually stopped a few seconds after I stopped the bike.

It turned out to be my speedo. Although the cable was well lubricated, the speedometer head had gone dry. Some WD40 or CRC spray lube with a straw attached and squirted liberally into the speedo  housing at the speedo cable joint sorted the problem for me.

Try removing the speedo cable drive and see if it stops making the noise you are hearing for a quick diagnosis.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

fret not

Very good possibility.

Also, a point to remember: never store a mechanical speedometer or tach with the face down, always face up.  There is a small reservoir of oil inside to damp the movement of the needle, and this can slowly leak out if the meter faces down.  I learned this when I worked at a dealership a hundred years ago.

kevin g

My strange noise was first noticed AFTER coming to a complete stop.  I have done enough investigating to be pretty certain it is not at all something mechanical rotating.  Yesterday it did only once or twice and was not as long as before.  I am thinking it may be related to the fuel pump and the return to the tank.  It is a 1983.  With a lower fuel tank yesterday maybe that is why it decreased.

I had considered the speedometer but since it persists after coming to full stop I don't see how that is possible.

MikeScoot

Could it be the tacho cable? The sound may change when moving air hits it and slightly bends it, or perhaps it is not fastened properly at one end or has a broken/frayed inner. Then again, it could be the tacho itself.
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

Walt_M.

Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

Quote from: Walt_M. on July 14, 2020, 04:31:43 PM
Electric tach on these.

Ha ha ha - oops! Too much valve spring soup!
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

pinholenz

My speedo noise used to carry on a bit AFTER I stopped. I think this was because the head unit was dry and the cable gained some twist energy which dissipated after the wheel stopped turning. The lube method I described solved the problem.

At slow speed I could hear the whirring noise, it was however, erratic, as you describe. At higher speed the whirring was drowned out by the engine noise. The speedo needle was pretty jumpy though.

kevin g

pinholenz, I will check out the speedo lubrication.  My needle is not erratic but it is worth a shot.

fret not

Coolant purging into the overflow recovery bottle.

injuhneer

Quote from: fret not on August 11, 2020, 03:47:23 AM
Coolant purging into the overflow recovery bottle.

I heard that on my XZ yesterday. I stopped after a spirited ride then let it idle at home for several minutes before shutdown. Afterward I heard the gurgling sound.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

injuhneer

Quote from: fret not on July 12, 2020, 04:05:21 PM
Since this happens when coming to a stop I think it might be the transmission almost in/out of gear.  The main shaft spins with the clutch basket inertia and is coupled to the crank shaft, so it is spinning as long as the engine is running.  The counter shaft / output shaft is coupled to the rear wheel via the drive shaft and middle gear.  Engine speed controls the main shaft and road speed controls the counter shaft.  I have a feeling that when you shift "out" of gear (into neutral) when coming to a stop that the shift drum is not completely set at a prescribed detent position.  Like getting a false neutral between gears, except it is just not quite totally in the neutral position and the dogs on the gears can rub against the opposing set of dogs.  Does this sound happen when the neutral light is ON?

An important point about shifting gears is that the shift lever be moved firmly and securely into the 'next' position.  NOT stomped or jammed because the speed of that motion transfers motion to the shift drum, and the inertia of that part rotating can carry over a bit just past it's intended detent position, leaving gears slightly out of position and they can rub.:police:

Or maybe the noise is coming from a harmonic resonance of some body part(s).

Seems reasonable. My XZ only has 16k miles on it and sometimes finding Neutral is a challenge. Shifting to N is easy from 2nd and difficult from 1st. I was thinking detent wear or similar.

Any other info on the engine/trans? Mileage? Difficulty in gear selection? Clutch actuation good?
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: injuhneer on August 22, 2020, 12:26:33 PMsometimes finding Neutral is a challenge. Shifting to N is easy from 2nd and difficult from 1st. I was thinking detent wear or similar.

I used to have a lot of trouble finding neutral, and changing gears was pretty chunky.  I'd figured wear also (and it probably was).  Doesn't mean you are stuck with it.
I switched to Castrol Power1 GPS Semi-synthetic oil back in 2009/2010
That cured my shifting problems and the bike idles smoother, accelerates better.  Like a whole new bike

injuhneer

Quote from: Prophet Of Doom on August 22, 2020, 05:42:14 PM
I used to have a lot of trouble finding neutral, and changing gears was pretty chunky.  I'd figured wear also (and it probably was).  Doesn't mean you are stuck with it.
I switched to Castrol Power1 GPS Semi-synthetic oil back in 2009/2010
That cured my shifting problems and the bike idles smoother, accelerates better.  Like a whole new bike

I guess that is a simple fix. My starting point used to be a 15w-40. I am wondering about the condition of the detent mechanism. At low mileage I can't imagine it to be very worn. Although the shift lever could have been abused.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

pinholenz

I have had the same experience as POD changing over to Amsoil 100% synthetic 10w-40. The engine just kept on improving for the next 2000kms. Awesome stuff, the downside being that its a premium price oil here in NZ. Amsoil has got an interesting backstory to their product.