Out of Gas with a full tank

Started by WGuaire, July 17, 2020, 04:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGuaire

Quote from: jefferson on July 25, 2020, 11:17:59 PM
I'm not sure where you aren't getting 12 volts from, the battery or the switch. The battery side should have 12 volts on it all the time. The wire coming from the starter switch should have nothing until you press the button, and then 12 volts will be on that wire as well as the wire going to the starter. When you say switch are you talking about the ignition switch or the starter button? That last sentence is very confusing the way it is worded and punctuated.
The battery is putting out +12v. When I push the START button, the OFF/RUN switch at the handlebar his two Red/White(?) wires, show POS 12v.
The Pilot Probe III tool connects it's power leads to the POS and NEG terminals of the battery. It's pointed probe will show a reading of any connection. It has a negative light and a positive light. When it finds a positive, it gives a read out of the voltage it reads.
  Sunday, here, I'll take a day off. And try to verify what's going on tomorrow.

jefferson

What happens at the solenoid when you push the start button?

Walt_M.

I will have to check my manual but I think it's the cooling fan.
Whale oil beef hooked!

jefferson

Pretty sure you are right on the cooling fan.

fret not

The 'headlight fuse' is in a circuit that connects the starter switch, engine kill switch, and the headlight.  Not sure what all else might be connected.  The wire will be RED/WHITE or RED/YELLOW.  If you don't have a wiring diagram you can download a shop manual from POD's links.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

WGuaire

I've checked the four fuses of the old fuse box. They're ok.

jefferson

That separate 10a fuse in the headlight bucket just runs the fan relay. I just checked the manual to see for sure.

WGuaire

Quote from: jefferson on July 27, 2020, 08:47:09 PM
That separate 10a fuse in the headlight bucket just runs the fan relay. I just checked the manual to see for sure.
Gotcha. Will do. I took off yesterday from working in the garage. It's too hot.

WGuaire

I got out this afternoon to check the starter solenoid. The manual calls it a relay. Plugged it in.
  Opened the right hand switch. Opened the Starter button connections by taking off the two inner covers. I tried the starter. THE STARTER CRANKED!!!! I don't know why it didn't work, I had the same components.
  As suggested I opened the headlight. There isn't a fuse there.
I'm going to pull the upper fairing and the fuel tank. I'm going to replace the coils. I will have to re-attach a ground circuit board I put in for some farkles in the cockpit. Once all that is off, I'll look for the fan fuse.
Thanks for the help and encouragement here!!!

jefferson

If you have the full fairing the fuse will be in the bundle of wires behind the headlight. If the fan is working there shouldn't be a need to check it.

WGuaire

I got the coils installed, put the air box back on.... and the overflow coolant tank.
  It started and ran a bit. I can't do a test ride today as it's raining today. I'll get out to the garage and put the Nocco on the battery to make sure it's happy. If the rain lets up I'll get ride in.
Thanks for the help from 'guys who know'!!!