News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Alternative coils

Started by MikeScoot, July 18, 2020, 08:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeScoot

Does anyone know of any fairly common coils with the same stud pattern as the XZ? I have four here but don't trust any of them.
I'm pretty sure they are the same as used to be found on a LOT of Yams back in the 70's and 80's, but they seem a little hard to come across these days.
Coils are coils and I can always jig something with different coils, but ones with the same stud distance would be great if anyone has any tips.
In the meantime I'll have another look on Ebay.
Cheers

Probably should have put this in the spares section.
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

fret not

Test them if you have the facility, or have them tested.  If they test "good" when cool but fail in service they need to be replaced.  Ignition coils get warm when in use, and the heat cycling can cause internal coil wire to break and open the circuit.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

MikeScoot

Yeah, coils can be tricky and lead to a lot of frustration when they are failing but not failed completely. There's no easy sure fire way to test them really because, as you mentioned, temperature can be a big factor and testing when hot is not convenient. Best thing is to use new ones when they are suspect.

I used to have oodles of these things kicking around many years ago and suspect ones went in the bin quicksmart. That way they don't torment one! :-)

WGuaire

I believe I'm a candidate for replacing my coils. I looked up by part number and all I found are used ones.
Part # 3Y6-82310-60-00

injuhneer

So it sounds like we might need a replacement coil specified.

I suppose the primary and secondary of a known good could be measured. This is a transistor controlled ignition. Consequently there should be many coils that would "work" but getting the mounting and HT leads correct might be fun.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

jefferson

The coils I used were nology. Just had to drill one hole which was no big deal. I also used them on the 650 Seca and when I sold it moved them to the ZRX. They have worked great in all applications.

WGuaire

Quote from: jefferson on July 19, 2020, 11:25:48 AM
The coils I used were nology. Just had to drill one hole which was no big deal. I also used them on the 650 Seca and when I sold it moved them to the ZRX. They have worked great in all applications.

Which one(s) did you use?
https://www.nology.com/apply.html

jefferson

Pretty sure it was a couple of pfc-03s models. I think the Vision requires 3 ohm coils. It's been a long time since doing it. I'm sure I kept the receipt, but where did i put it.

MikeScoot

I think I'll settle for something I may have to adapt/drill etc. to mount. Getting new ones with the right stud spacing (~55mm) seems unlikely.
Plenty of inexpensive ones on EBay. Will order later this morning and send link. Have to work now.

injuhneer

Quote from: WGuaire on July 19, 2020, 02:00:02 PM
Quote from: jefferson on July 19, 2020, 11:25:48 AM

Which one(s) did you use?
https://www.nology.com/apply.html

I remember using Nology coils on the Vmax.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

WGuaire

Quote from: jefferson on July 19, 2020, 02:27:39 PM
Pretty sure it was a couple of pfc-03s models. I think the Vision requires 3 ohm coils. It's been a long time since doing it. I'm sure I kept the receipt, but where did i put it.

Jefferson - If you can remember I'll probably get one. Maybe I can talk to their tech help?!
  Using a better coil does make a difference.

jefferson

Another thing that helps is running the power to the coils off a relay. You would have to check it with a meter, but I'm sure the voltage drop would be enough to benefit from the relay mod.

MikeScoot

New coils (advertised for slightly smaller machine, and of completely different dimensions) on the way.
Will report after installation and testing.

injuhneer

Quote from: jefferson on July 19, 2020, 08:51:57 PM
Another thing that helps is running the power to the coils off a relay. You would have to check it with a meter, but I'm sure the voltage drop would be enough to benefit from the relay mod.

Good point. I happen to have a box full of Bosch relays. That is a mod worth doing.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

MikeScoot

Quote from: injuhneer on July 21, 2020, 09:17:41 PM
Good point. I happen to have a box full of Bosch relays. That is a mod worth doing.

I've never even considered doing that, but am now.

Walt_M.

I have never even considered doing that. Why would you want to add something else that can fail and stop your bike from running?
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

My take is that by running an almost direct supply of power from the battery one would bypass potential resistance in the wiring loom (harness) and have a better chance of supplying the maximum available power to the coils. That would help to ensure a healthier spark and better flame propagation (better ignition and explosion of fuel charge) and, perhaps, make starting easier and running more efficient.

But, yes, it would (arguably) introduce an additional potential point of failure.

Walt_M.

I guess I've been on here too long and tend to forget long ago solutions to problems. Meticulous cleaning of ALL electrical connections in the wiring harness and replacing the HV wires and sparkplug caps will solve your starting problems.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

Quote from: Walt_M. on July 22, 2020, 03:45:12 PM
I guess I've been on here too long and tend to forget long ago solutions to problems. Meticulous cleaning of ALL electrical connections in the wiring harness and replacing the HV wires and sparkplug caps will solve your starting problems.

lolol Yeah, that's usually done the trick for me, but these XZ's seem to need all the help they can get to prevent them from getting the sulks.

Recently mine starts pretty easily with stock set-up, but will probably do the relay mod as pre-emptive measure.  And who knows (?) maybe it will deliver better running.

pinholenz

I read on one of the XZ Facebook forums of a German XZ owner using coils from a 2004 Yamaha R1. Trouble is I cant find the posting again.....

These are stick coils that fix on top of the spark plug cap and it looks like an earth wire and a LT power wire connect to them. No need to drill the frame just a bit of a fiddle with some wiring.

Has anyone experience with these?
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550