Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Alternative coils

Started by MikeScoot, July 18, 2020, 08:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeScoot

Quote from: injuhneer on August 16, 2020, 11:42:32 AM
... Tombstone, Arizona...
Ah, so you guys are from, or spend/have spent time near Tombstone.  :-) If ever I get some sudden urge to visit the US, Tombstone will be right at the very top of my exztremely short list of places to see. The other on the list will be Charlotte, as I was once offered a job there as a photographer for the Gazette but forewent it. I got a job offer from Japan at almost exactly the same time and went there because it was TOTALLY different to Australia and the USA.

lololol The world really is quite a small place, so don't be too surprised if you're in Tombstone one day and someone with an Aussie accent taps you on the shoulder and asks; "Your name Mike?"

Cheers :-)
Mike
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: pinholenz on August 18, 2020, 07:38:24 AM
the hottest place in world, Death Valley, reached its highest temperature in 100 odd years....
So if it's the same temperature that it was 100 years ago, does that mean that temperatures aren't rising?

I had a scope on my TCI the other day, and it's far from the clean square signal you read about in the books.  I wonder if the lower resistance coils are false discharging.

MikeScoot

Quote from: Prophet Of Doom on August 19, 2020, 07:42:12 AM
Quote from: pinholenz on August 18, 2020, 07:38:24 AM
the hottest place in world, Death Valley, reached its highest temperature in 100 odd years....
So if it's the same temperature that it was 100 years ago, does that mean that temperatures aren't rising?

lololol Blo0dy good question!!! lololololol
"Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

And just to keep things 'on-topic'; I changed my plug leads the other day and am happy they won't need changing again for up to another 50,599 years!

injuhneer

Quote from: MikeScoot on August 19, 2020, 07:40:27 AM
Quote from: injuhneer on August 16, 2020, 11:42:32 AM
... Tombstone, Arizona...
Ah, so you guys are from, or spend/have spent time near Tombstone.  :-) If ever I get some sudden urge to visit the US, Tombstone will be right at the very top of my exztremely short list of places to see. The other on the list will be Charlotte, as I was once offered a job there as a photographer for the Gazette but forewent it. I got a job offer from Japan at almost exactly the same time and went there because it was TOTALLY different to Australia and the USA.

lololol The world really is quite a small place, so don't be too surprised if you're in Tombstone one day and someone with an Aussie accent taps you on the shoulder and asks; "Your name Mike?"

Cheers :-)
Mike

I am originally from Indiana. I have lived in Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, Utah, Arizona, California. Also lived outside the USA in the Carrribean on occasion. My father was a field service engineer who specialized in power generation (steam turbines). We moved quite a lot. Our climate here at 4600ft is mild compared to Tucson and Phoenix. Flagstaff is more like northern California.

I suppose I am an adopted Arizonan. Lots of wide open space to ride the roads here but I do miss the twisty roads of Indiana and Ohio.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

pinholenz

Thanks POD. Yes that might well explain the false discharge. However since it was a not-so-pretty jury rigged connection, other anomalies may yhave also crept in. Theres no way around it but to spend a bit of time doing the job properly with soldered connections.

However, a bit more research  on the  R1 wiring front shows that the common wire from the R1 ECU goes to the Left Hand terminal when looking into the connector of the Coil on Plug. I will follow suit with the common wire from our TCI

If you want to have a play yourself, GoodParts has a pair of CoP's and a loom. My friend up here is quite excited about the potential of reducing weight on his classic racer using the CoP setup instead of OEM coils.

BTW, why do our North American cousins always say "soda" when they talk about solder on Youtube?http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/Smileys/default/angel.gif
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

MikeScoot

Quote from: injuhneer on August 19, 2020, 09:50:30 AM

I am originally from Indiana. I have lived in Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, Utah, Arizona, California. Also lived outside the USA in the Carrribean on occasion. My father was a field service engineer who specialized in power generation (steam turbines). We moved quite a lot. Our climate here at 4600ft is mild compared to Tucson and Phoenix. Flagstaff is more like northern California.

I suppose I am an adopted Arizonan. Lots of wide open space to ride the roads here but I do miss the twisty roads of Indiana and Ohio.

Isn't your neck of the scrub where Zane Gray (world's first author to become a millionaire - ~100 years ago!!!) researched and wrote a lot of his books?

The roads where you are are probably a little similar to our roads on the Western side of the Great Dividing Range. Our terrain there is pretty flat and soil quality is usually not too good. Also tends to be pretty low in rainfall when compared to the Eastern side of the range. Technically, 70% of Australia is desert. It can be a bit of a trap for unwary tourists. I remember there was a period a few years ago when tourists, mainly from Germany, would hire vehicles in Adelaide and charge off to explore the outback. Many were never seen alive again.

pinholenz

Yep Zane Grey hung out in the 1920's in the Bay of Islands, at the other end of the North Island from me. He made New Zealand famous for its big game fishing. Where we are its Trout fishing country.  There's a short history here:  https://www.bay-of-islands.co.nz/history/zane-grey/

MikeScoot

Jeez, I never knew he was into fishing. His books are great reads. Nothing too fancy, just good hero and villains yarns - usually with a bit of female intreague thrown in. I had never read much fiction at all until one day in Japan when my printer ran out of ink to print news to read over lunch. All I could find was one of his books and loved it. Read many others of his in very quick succession after that.
Apparently he was a dentist by trade.

injuhneer

Quote from: pinholenz on August 20, 2020, 12:49:01 AM

BTW, why do our North American cousins always say "soda" when they talk about solder on Youtube?http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/Smileys/default/angel.gif

Soda is a drink or a compound. Pronunciation here is more like saw-der. When you add regional dialect to it then you may here sah-da, saw-da, sah-dah, etc. The L is not pronounced or is weak.

My understanding of this is that the L is an artifact of the re-latinization of words in the 15th century. Middle-English was souder. The L was put back in along the way the but the pronunciation with a soft/no L stuck.

So customary older pronunciation is the cause. The reason? Who knows. ;-)

- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

injuhneer

Quote from: Prophet Of Doom on August 19, 2020, 07:42:12 AM

I had a scope on my TCI the other day, and it's far from the clean square signal you read about in the books.  I wonder if the lower resistance coils are false discharging.

Speaking of scopes. I have been looking at the small digital scopes. I am thinking of picking one up to keep in my toolbox. I have read reviews on them and I think that for most repair tasks one would do the job.

There are loads of them on Amazon. One can be picked up with probes and simple signal generator for very little money.

- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

pinholenz

Well, I would love to report that my experiment with the Coil on Plugs (aka stick coils) was a roaring success as an alternative to standard coils.

Regretfully, after sourcing the proper connectrions for the R1 plugs and wiring it all up nicely, it still misfired on both of my TCI's. (Note, however that I tried it out on just one cylinder. This may have upset the TCI? Who knows?)

In principle the CoP coils should work. But until I get clear information from the original adopter in Germany about his setup, I haven't got the electrical knowledge, nor corresponding gear, to pursue this line of experimentation further.

Sigh. Back to basics.