Air Filters revisited/refurbished

Started by pinholenz, September 03, 2020, 02:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinholenz

About a 15 years ago there was discussion about non OEM airfilters for the XZ550. Members found that a Fram CA3903 or a Purlator   equivalent would do the job nicely especially on an 83 model.

Then Unifilter started to manufacture their lookalike replacing the fabric with foam.

https://www.motorcycleid.com/1982-yamaha-xz550-vision-air-intakes-filters/uni-filter-direct-factory-replacement-air-filter-2521359627.html

Some users say that they are noisy. Other like the roar of air hungry carb intakes. Either way we cant get the Unifilter replacement in my country. The Australian manufactures and suppliers of Unifilter dont even make the XZ550 filter nor will they get them in from the US.

I started to look how I could repurpose an OEM filter.

By removing the fabric on an OEM filter, I found that inner mesh screen provided enough strength to support the top and bottom filter plates on its own. It was a simple job to get some fine (green) Unifilter sheet foam and to cut a couple of strips to snugly fit in the place of the fabric. But the cable tie to hold it in place compressed the foam. I needed an outer mesh that would hold everything snugly.

A mate working at an air conditioning company gave me some plastic mesh they use. It worked perfectly. Heavy fly screen mesh or cut down air filter mesh from an indoor domestic air conditioning unit would also work well.

Before assembly I sprayed the foam with light oil instead of the heavy oil for foam filters used by the MotoCross guys who are riding in serious dirt and dust.

Voila, a cleanable filter that should last for the life of the bike.

Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

That's pretty cool.  Don't know about your colour choices though

pinholenz

Thanks for your help with this project POD. Agreed, the blue looks crap. Just as well its hidden. 
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

injuhneer

I did the same thing with an OEM filter. Rather than add a retainer I cut the UNI foam in strips and sewed them end-to-end to make a loop that will fit over the mesh. No retainer needed.

The outside mesh is a good idea. An alternative to that would be the screen material used for windows here in the desert (and other places). It comes in many colors (if that is an issue) and ranges in density for the amount of light blocking. It is also used for shade sails.

I suppose there are lots of screen materials that could be used.

My version two was to cut rings of UNI filter and stack them on the old filter frame.

- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ