News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

SA

Started by NAPIER, July 22, 2020, 03:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAPIER

Hi are there any owners of the Yamaha XZ550 in South Africa ?
Regards
Mark
Yamaha Dt 125
Yamaha Dt 175
Yamaha Dt 250
Yamaha Dt 360
Yamaha Dt400
Yamaha XS 1100
Yamaha Ycs2e
Yamaha Bws
Yamaha RD350 x 3
Yamaha XZ550
Honda CB900F
Nimbus ModelC
Ktm 990

Walt_M.

There was one guy on here a good while ago. He was trying to get his bike to run on a single carb as he had a broken float. Haven't heard from him in quite a long time. I forgot his screen name but you can try the Member Map or Members list. Hope you don't have his bike.
Whale oil beef hooked!

dehanff

Lol, luckily he does not. I still own it. Still looking for a single carb that could work on my XZ400

fret not

I was under the impression that you had made the single carb modification.  What happened? 

Making a manifold to accommodate a single carb to feed two inlets is the obstacle.  There is precious little room between the heads, air box, and frame to wrestle the necessary parts into position.  It is not rocket science but does need some planning and perseverance to get the job done and working well.

Down draft carbs are available from several inline fours with forward inclined cylinders, so select the size you want and get your carb in hand, then a manifold can be made to fit. 

I tried making manifolds for two carbs but found it much easier to use the stock rubber carb boots and fabricating the connections between the carbs.  This allows the use of the stock air box, which is a big plus!
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!