amazing what has been on a shelf for 40 years

Started by briandneville, April 02, 2021, 12:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

briandneville

A few weeks ago I was looking at my Vision and noticed, for the 100th time, the missing oil filler hose between the fairing mount and oil filler cap on the engine.  Went to my computer and looked up 'vision oil filler tube' on ebay and this part popped up.  I checked the part number in the picture against the parts list and saw it was the same so I ordered it, $15USD.  The part arrived today and it's clearly the right part, wrapped in its original plastic.  Guess it's been sitting on a shelf tor three for the last 35 years.  It's really unbelievable that one can find parts this old for something this obscure...can't imagine this part would work on anything other than the fairing for vision.

That's all.  Just wanted to share the thought.
How did it come to this?

MikeScoot

All good thing come to those who wait! lolololol
Great score!!!
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

Walt_M.

Did you check for the filler cap or is it included?
Whale oil beef hooked!

motoracer8

I found a brand new water pump impeller on eBay for mine. Parts are out there.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

briandneville

I have two caps!  One on the engine case and the other on the fairing mount.  I don't have the connector that goes between the engine case and the brand new tube.  I think I can find something to use there, but probably not NOS.
How did it come to this?

fret not

Something sticks in my mind that the threads are different on the caps.  The cap on the filler tube dies not fit into the filler hole in the case.  Is that correct?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

You are right Mike the caps are different but since he has both, no problem. But, don't forget you can't use a pvc fitting on the engine case. It will get soft and come from together.
Whale oil beef hooked!

jefferson

I might be wrong, but I believe the part that screws into the stator cover is different for the 82's with the fairing added and the 83's that came with it from the factory. The 82's had a much smaller hole in the stator cover, but I could be way off. I know something is different.

Walt_M.

You are correct, the '83 part will not fit an '82.
Whale oil beef hooked!

briandneville

The two caps I have (one on the engine case and the other on the fairing mount) are identical.  My Vision is an '83.  The caps are plastic with male threads that are compatible with american garden hose threads, oddly enough.  I think I can find a brass fitting that I can screw into the oil filler case opening and attache the rubber filler hose to.  Does it seem like a bad idea to anyone to use a brass fitting for that?
How did it come to this?

Walt_M.

Whale oil beef hooked!

MoVision

Good to go with brass. Get extras if possible. US Navy still uses brass for a lot of things.
enjoy the wrenching... This bike was sitting for 24 years in a barn. Took a week to get running until the gas tank started leaking....carbs done, coolant lines redone, brakes, tires, new paint, wiring, coolant reservoir vapor cleaned, front forks repacked, up next rear suspension

WGuaire