Carbs are trapped in the frame!

Started by VisionWC, April 04, 2021, 09:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisionWC

Hoping someone can help with instruction of removing the carbs from an 82. I've search the forums an only found comments like:

take off the accelerator pump, cables and hoses
losen the clams on the intake boots
pull carb out of the boots
pull the wire loom outside of the frame (since the loom crosses inside the frame at the carb you really can't do that fully)
remove the carbs from the left side of the frame by twisting the carb clockwise while lowering the rear carb past the boot.

There has to be more to it. No matter which way I twist the thing it hits something. There's a bracket holding some "thing" that's attached to the side but I can't find it on the carb diagram. I think I need to take that off too but the bolt is hard to get to. See attached pic.

Thoughts? I must be missing something. 

Thanks in advance!!!

Jim

vintage bikeworks

After freeing the carbs from the intake boots, I usually remove the rear cylinder boot.  This seems to give just enough added "wiggle" to free the carbs from the left side of frame. 
1982 Yamaha XZ550 Vision
2002 Yamaha FZ1
1978 Honda CB400TII Hawk
2018 Yamaha FJR1300

cvincer

After suffering your frustration I now always simply remove all brackets/rods that connect the carbs to each other (takes 10 minutes) & pull out the carbs individually.  The carb 'sync' is not affected because you do not have to touch the adjuster on the sync rod, when removing the sync rod..............must admit I never thought of 'Vintages' solution.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: VisionWC on April 04, 2021, 09:07:55 AM
Hoping someone can help with instruction of removing the carbs from an 82. I've search the forums an only found comments like:

take off the accelerator pump, cables and hoses
losen the clams on the intake boots
pull carb out of the boots
pull the wire loom outside of the frame (since the loom crosses inside the frame at the carb you really can't do that fully)
remove the carbs from the left side of the frame by twisting the carb clockwise while lowering the rear carb past the boot.

There has to be more to it. No matter which way I twist the thing it hits something. There's a bracket holding some "thing" that's attached to the side but I can't find it on the carb diagram. I think I need to take that off too but the bolt is hard to get to. See attached pic.

Thoughts? I must be missing something. 

Thanks in advance!!!

Jim
Those instructions are correct.  No need to remove to air bleed filter, a boot, or break the carbs in two.  Even the YICS can stay attached though it's easier to take it off the carbs than to undo the hoses.

Once the carbs are popped free, dive the carbs to the front left, then level up as soon as they clear the boots

There's a definite knack, but it's quite doable.

VisionWC

I got em out and thanks again! I was very doubtful but followed your instructions. Yep, clear the boots, angle the front down and to the left, rotate 90 degree counter clockwise and they cleared. Now to crack em open and check the floats.

The Prophet of Doom

Since you are at that stage, why don't you video yourself doing it and put it on Youtube,  It would help out a lot of people - gives even seasoned visionaries trouble.