News:

Main Menu

Bad starting after warm up

Started by WGuaire, April 07, 2021, 09:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGuaire

Thank you, Jefferson and POD!!
  I feel much better now!
I'll take the nose and bearing to shop with a hydraulic press to get the bearing pressed. It supported it and tried a dead blow hammer.... no go. A real press should work fine.
  The eBay kit is ordered from Minnesota. It's good to get something from the US. It will take days not months to get here!
  I feel better now than I have in awhile. I got my Vision in a more or less restored condition. Absolutely excellent. But....I got after mostly electrics: regulator/rectifier, stator, fuse box, coils, starter relay, LED headlight... plus adding farkles. Plus, a better thermostat! There remained one problem. Sometimes the bike didn't like starting after it had been running. I've been carrying a NOCO booster battery. I used it once to get home after stopping at a gas station. After this solution, I'm hoping to finally have a reliable bike.

fret not

So, does this mean the difficult starting issue is solved by having a better battery? :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

You don't need a hydraulic press.  A bench vise and a socket will do it just fine

WGuaire

Quote from: Prophet Of Doom on April 19, 2021, 03:18:58 AM
You don't need a hydraulic press.  A bench vise and a socket will do it just fine
Got it!
  Will do!

WGuaire

Quote from: fret not on April 18, 2021, 05:41:38 PM
So, does this mean the difficult starting issue is solved by having a better battery? :police:

From my experience -
  I rode enough to warm up the Vision. I stopped and got gas. It didn't want to start. I didn't want to kill the battery. I attached my Noco battery booster. I got it started. Yes, the extra boost of juice coming from the battery got the bike started.
  I don't want to keep attaching the Noco though.

WGuaire

I got the nose apart. I had no idea what I was going to see.
  The back of the bearing had on it: SC 20 35 5.5.
Is that a size standard?

WGuaire

Quote from: Prophet Of Doom on April 18, 2021, 07:30:50 AM
The O-Ring is a standard metric size - I don't recall which but you should have no trouble finding one for a few $
The seal is a radial oil seal 20x35x6 mm  if you know a SKF supplier then part number SKF563017

I couldn't find that part #.
Looking locally, I saw these. The compare function doesn't help me much.
https://www.applied.com/search/?search-category=all&text=20x35x6

Is this one that would work? It's from Motion Industry.
https://www.motionindustries.com/products/sku/00603486

This description says it's good for up to 7 psi. The oil in the sump is not pressurized I assume.
  I ordered from Motion Industries. We'll see how they work.

WGuaire

I got the starter ready for installation. I'll have to get the Vision back on the Kendon lift. I couldn't get it done on the floor!
  I tried to remove the right front exhaust pipe. I took off the hardware, but the header, where it goes into the lower pipe doesn't want to move.

jefferson

Going from memory here, but I don't remember taking the exhaust off in order to gain access to the starter. 2 bolts hold the starter in and one bolt for the wire to the starter. Should be pretty straightforward.

WGuaire

I put the Vision back on the Kendon lift. I was able to install the starting motor. Afterwards I saw I left out one of the two washers on the electric side.
  It cranked well and started. I did a ride and came back to the garage. It re started. A few minutes went by and I wanted to do a start to check the oil. It didn't fire. I waited a few minutes more and it started again alright.
  I'll just have to wait now and then, it looks like.
Thanks, for the help!