Wiring help needed

Started by jack737, April 07, 2021, 11:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack737

I bought this 82 vision project, needs lots of work.  Some one has cut the wiring harness in a few places, I don't know why.  Some photos of what was supposed to be there would be great, not sure what connectors were removed.  I see a grey wire in one bundle but the diagram I have doesn't show any grey wire. I'll try to attach photos.
Thanks!

jack737

fret not

Is the wiring harness original, modified, or ?  Frame number has coded info for the area the bike was originally sold, and the wiring is designed for specific requirements of that area (special switches, lights, etc.).  So you need a wiring diagram for that specific model.  Also, as time has passed some wire insulation may have experienced color fading or discoloration.  You might have to peel back some of the sheath to expose areas untouched by light and protected from dirt and other contaminants.   :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Pic 1
There should be three wires in a small sub-loom.  Item 21 in the picture.  The two you show, plus a black that goes onto a screw on the aluminium joint (11H-12479-00)
These go to a T-shaped connector.  A corresponding T-shaped connector comes from the main loom  and corresponding colours, Black, Blue/Red, Green/Red

Pic 2
The red shroud covers a red fly lead which is part of the cable that connects the battery to the starter solenoid.  It connects to a single connector in the loom that carries current to the main fuse.
Item 12 in the picture

The Blue is probably the Neutral switch, but blue is also used for the licence plate light, the fan, and some of the handlebar switches and meter lights.
If I'm right it connects to a sky blue on the loom

Pic 3
Hard to tell from the pic.  Can you check all the colours make sure there aren't any hidden stripes -

kevin g

Sorry for the crickets, I really would like to help but am pressed for time.  Do get a manual that has wiring diagrams and I think you can figure a lot out on your own.  MY manual (Haynes I think) has several diagrams for the different models and between them you can figure out what you have.

For example, on my 1983 RK there are unused blue/red and black wires up front that are not on the RK schematic but are on the German model schematic.  My guess is the main harness is all the same, it saves $$$ not having to manage different versions in production.

jack737

Thanks for the help.  That bundle with the grey wire had been covered up so the colour is definitely grey. Maybe a Canadian model difference. I'll look for another wiring diagram .  Have to find another positive connector for the battery and solenoid.

jack737

It was the non USA model wiring diagram. All makes sense now. I thought the North American models would all be the same.
Can't imagine why someone would ruin the wiring harness  just to take the connectors.