News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Rear tire Sidewall cracks

Started by VisionAirman, April 26, 2021, 01:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisionAirman

Getting the Vision ready for the riding season here today and I notices small cracks in the sidewall of the rear tire.  Is the bike rideable in this condition or does the tire need replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Walt_M.

NO! What are the date codes on the tires?
Whale oil beef hooked!

VisionAirman

DOT number is DA14 M26 107

Sorry, I don't know how to read tire codes for motorcycles.

VisionAirman

So if what I have been able to find online is correct, that rear tire is some pre-2000 unit and the front is from 2016.

Yeesh.

Looking at possibly getting the Shinko 712 tires for the ol Vision as a replacement.

fret not

If you can see any fabric or threads in the cracks, the tires need to be replaced.  The idea is that if water or any other 'material' can get into the cords it can cause rot and weakness.  Your tires are the only part in contact with the road surface, so I suggest you err on the side of safety and replace them with known good quality.  If the cracks are not deep the tires will likely function as intended.  I like to feel confident in my rides, your mileage may vary. :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

kevin g

I put Metzeler Roadtec 01 on my '83 Vision and they are great tires.  In these "vintage" sizes they are bias-ply.  I run these tires on my 2016 BMW R1200RS and they are the nicest sport touring tires I have tried in nearly a half-million miles of riding.

The Shinkos will cost less but they will not be nearly as confidence inspiring.

fret not

Just because Shinko tires are less expensive does not mean they have significantly less grip.  I have been running Shinko 705 tires on my KLR and have drug foot pegs occasionally.  They don't last as long as some tires but seem to have good grip.  When you change tires 'frequently' you can be more assured of strong carcass structure.  Old tires are always in doubt. YMMV :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

I am very happy with the feel of the Continental Classic Attack radials that I put on my '83. When I got them the front was available only in 90/90 18. I was a little concerned because the '83 came with 100/90 but the Contis are really great. Pricy but, to me worth it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

kevin g

I put the Continental Classic Attacks on a 1988 BMW R100RS I restored.  I liked them well enough but they did not have the sure footedness leaned over like I feel on the Metzelers.  I use up all of the tire on my bikes and for me the Metzelers always have felt better pushing hard in corners.

kd47828

I put Bridgestone Battlax on both my Vision and my VfR and been very pleased with them.  Good in wet and dry.