Think it's time to sell the Vision

Started by 11davie, July 26, 2021, 06:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11davie

I have an 82 with an 83 fairing, black. I'm the second owner. It is in nice physical shape, but it does have three issues. I attempted to repair the petcock, but just made it worse, it will not shut off the flow. The tach does not work. It will sometimes run on one cylinder. This last one has kept me from riding it as I don't trust it. Would there be anyone in my area interested? I live in Battle Ground WA.

Some other details.
New tires 2 or 3 years ago, but less then 30 miles on them. Good AGM battery, kept it charged on a tender. I lined the tank around 20 years ago. I've removed the stator connectors that are known to cause problems. I did the starter fix a long time ago. The previous owner had a larger stator put in, I want to say it was from a Virago but I don't remember any more.

fret not

Battle Ground, That's across the river from Portland.  Right?  You haven't mentioned a price, and whether you have other parts, spares, etc.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

briandneville

Not interested in buying but I'm in Seattle and just got a brand new tach NOS, for the '82 that I'd be glad to pass on to you if you want to swap it in and see if that fixes the tach problem.  Tach is controlled by the TCI, which may be faulty on your bike and causing it to run on one cylinder.  That may also be the reason the tach doesn't work.  Let me k now if interested in the tach.
How did it come to this?

11davie

Quote from: fret not on July 26, 2021, 11:04:06 PM
Battle Ground, That's across the river from Portland.  Right?  You haven't mentioned a price, and whether you have other parts, spares, etc.

I do have a small box of parts, one of them being a TCI, so maybe I'll see if that fixes the one cylinder issue that briandneville mentioned. Trouble is I have a feeling that is a bad TCI and that why it is in the box!  :-\ I actually have no idea what to ask for it, should probably get it in a running state at least...

11davie

Quote from: briandneville on July 26, 2021, 11:26:14 PM
Tach is controlled by the TCI, which may be faulty on your bike and causing it to run on one cylinder.  That may also be the reason the tach doesn't work.  Let me k now if interested in the tach.
Thank you for the idea and the offer. I did buy a used instrument cluster off of ebay a few years back that supposedly was in working order. I hooked it up but it was a no go. Info on this forum had me also checking a wire in the cluster (I want to say it was a blue wire) that sends pulses to the tach I believe. I used a volt meter and I did have a voltage but I do not have an oscilloscope. I'm thinking I'm going to try my other TCI in hopes that it is not bad and see if that changes anything. I might hit you up on that tach depending on what I find out.