News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Continously ticking blinker relay

Started by karmisol, September 06, 2021, 04:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karmisol

Hey again! I have finally charged the battery, replaced the gas and done my first start attempt (surprise, it didnt!)

Anyway, when I turn on the power but before i press start, the blinker relay starts ticking, and continues to tick.
It is similar to what I would expect warning blinkers to sound like (but xz550 doesnt have warning blinkers, right?)

Blinkers work fine though and the start engine seems to do its thing.

Any idea what could be the issue - i'm kind of lost on where to start.

The sound: https://voca.ro/1o8ZFkdMLOdW

Walt_M.

Stupid question, did you try pushing the turn signal reset?
Whale oil beef hooked!

karmisol

I did, but it didnt help.

What did help however, was leave the bike standing for a day - now the problem is gone.

I think I may have got water somewhere when I was cleaning the bike - so I guess I need to look through the cabling and see where a leak could become troublesome.

fret not

WD40 is your friend.  The WD stands for WATER DISPLACEMENT.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

WD40 may help but if it's still not running you may as well take off the tank and get the carbs cleaned.
Whale oil beef hooked!

karmisol

I'll probably go nuts with the WD40 and then try to use some vulcanizing tape to protect a few exposed cables.

Off topic: I got it started! I heated the engine from the outside and then tried to start it for a long time. I think I'll still replace the spark plugs in hope that it starts more easily in the future. Hope to avoid cleaning the carburator as it seems like a lot of work - but maybe a good winter pastime

jefferson

I will just about bet you won't get anywhere unless you give the carbs a good and thorough cleaning.

Walt_M.

Do it now. if you get it running you will find plenty more things to do this winter. Charging system, starter clutch, starter...
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Cleaning the carbs is one of the most important issues with the XZ550, also one of the reasons some of us have fitted other carbs.  The stock carbs CAN function well IF they are kept clean and adjusted properly.  One of the problems is the fuel currently available.  It's not the same stuff we had back in the day when gasoline was 'cheap' and generally good quality.  Nowadays 'gasoline' has been blended with god knows what other refinery waste products and ethyl alcohol.  We all need good fuel filters to make sure no physical contaminants get through to the carburetor.   

For the ticking sound, . . . do you have a volt/ohm meter?  That will show electrical current. 
If a relay is working you can usually feel it's physical impulses with your fingers by holding a finger against the 'can' of the relay.  I hope you find it.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!