Author Topic: Where did the Summer go?  (Read 107 times)

fret not

• Contributing Member
  • Visionary Expert
  • Mike Lewis - Grass Valley CA
    • Michael Lewis Instruments
Where did the Summer go?
« on: September 29, 2021, 12:29:31 AM »
Really, where did it go?  I have been busy with all sorts of things and still not finished putting my XZ550 fully together, though it is getting closer.  Now the cooler and wetter(I hope) weather is moving in.  We had almost 1/4 inch of rain!!!  This drought is wearing on everything; trees are so stressed they are weakened, and when bugs attack they have little to combat the bugs.  Mostly we see this in the ponderosa pines, but even the oaks are weakened and some succumb to beetles.  When they are as dry as this a fire becomes a very serious event.  A bit over a month ago there was a fire about 2 miles from here, and fortunately the prevailing winds took it mostly north and away from me, but several others were not so lucky, and lost homes and vehicles. 

So all Summer long instead of working on my Vision my time was spent removing some trees and dragging the brush to piles for chipping, and processing the larger wood for firewood (hauling, splitting, stacking, etc.) , walking my old blind and deaf dog, and all the house work that accumulates. A couple years ago I started to sand a fairing and prepare it for fiberglass patching and paint.  It still sits as I left it, partially sanded, and now the warmer weather is closing down, which begins to limit fiberglass resin work.  It is a smelly operation and best to be done outside, so maybe it will wait for next year when the warmer weather returns.  So during the cooler seasons I will again try to focus on making the beast actually run.  It IS getting closer, bit by bit.  I just received caliper seals for the front brake, so that is the next step.  The journey is the destination.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

admin

• ROV Administrator
  • ROV Senior Member
  • Jetson your fired !
    • riders of vision
Re: Where did the Summer go?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 07:19:46 PM »

I am so with you on this, way too fast, still too many projects to work on.

keep plugging away and hope you guys get some decent rain before long.

Happy October

-Ron

fret not

• Contributing Member
  • Visionary Expert
  • Mike Lewis - Grass Valley CA
    • Michael Lewis Instruments
Re: Where did the Summer go?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 03:27:42 PM »
Well, the rains are finally arriving!  So far we have received a bit over an inch (27mm) of precipitation!  Clear enough to walk my dog this morning, and the weather forecast is for heavy rains Saturday and Sunday, especially in the evenings and overnight.  This should put an end to the 'local' fires here in northern California, and I hope it helps with the fires farther south in the big redwood stands of Sequoia and Kings Canyon.

I made a big pot of vegetable soup with lentils, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, red potatoes, a couple sprigs of fresh rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste.  The squash and onions give it a sweetness that is soothing on a cool damp day.  The pot sat on top of the wood stove overnight, so when it cools sufficiently I will divide it up into portions and put it in the freezer for future easy access.  I try to keep beans and lasagna in the freezer too, so a good meal can be 10 or 15 minutes away at any time.

It is such a relief that the rains have arrived, maybe I will take some time off from worrying now, and go have a hearty bowl of soup.  :)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!