LiFePo battery

Started by Walt_M., October 14, 2021, 04:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt_M.

I finally bit the bullet on a Shorai battery. I haven't ridden the Vision in over 2 years. I just replaced the 2019 registration sticker so I know. The old cheapo battery is long dead so I've been jump starting it and, due to 'life' I probably hadn't started it in 6 months. Got the Shorai, charged it for 30 minutes, took it to the bike and the bike was running in 2 minutes. A testament to the Shorai battery, FZ carbs, electric fuel pump and non-ethanol gas. That was last week. I'll see it again in a week and report. FYI, this was not my first LiFePo battery. I put one in my RZ350 probably 6 years ago and it's still there. Granted, no electric start but it hasn't burst into flames and it still cycles the power valves on start-up.
Whale oil beef hooked!

injuhneer

- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

Walt_M.

Well, today it didn't start. The starter turned it over very well but no fire. I didn't have time to investigate so I don't know why, harumph!
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

Finally got back to the Vision today, it was around 60 out. Turned the key and hit the starter, it turned over easily. The oil pressure light went out but no start. Looked at the battery voltmeter and it was less than 10V, aha. We need 10.6 volts to get spark from the TCI. Put the battery charger on it and worked on other projects. Came back to it later and got a few pops and bangs. Finally jump started it and got it to run but I think I'm a no on the LiFePo.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Walt, was there any electrical draw on the battery while you were 'away'?  It doesn't take much of a draw if a long enough time elapses.  I recall the BMWs and their clocks.  Nice feature, but if parked for a couple weeks they will sap the energy from the battery.  Just a thought.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

Don't think there is any switch off draw. The battery had plenty of energy to run the starter but the voltage drop was too much to fire. It might be ok for more frequent use but it isn't what I was looking for. FWIW, the LiFePo I put in my RZ350 is still working fine after 5+ years. Of course there's no electric starter but it cycles the power valves on startup and the lights and turn signals work.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Dang, that sounds like an expensive adventure.  I have a AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) type battery in my KLR and it still fires the starter after sitting out in the weather for 6 months or so since last use.  It is 5 years or more old. 

I think the LiFePo batteries are better if used more often, but that goes for most all batteries.  One thought regarding starting with a LifePo battery is to turn the headlight on for a minute or so before trying to start the motor.  This is supposed to cause the battery to warm internally from the steady draw from the headlight, THEN try the starter.

Walt_M.

I was really looking for a longer lasting battery that will start the bike when I want it to. I have a NoCo charger that is supposed to be for the lithium batteries. I got it when I got the battery for the RZ but I haven't needed it. But, where is it? As for AGM, I've had a couple and not had enough better luck to get another one.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

I am not trying to 'sell' anyone on the idea of a AGM battery, just reporting my experience with a neglected bike and it's battery.  My KLR sits out in the weather year round.  So, the journey continues in the search for answers and insight.

Having spent a decade in the parts departments of several dealerships (that was 40 years ago) I have learned that not all batteries are created equal.  By that I mean there are specific tolerances within the manufacture  process, and consequently some are better than others.  Once in a while there will be a dud, but for the money charged for the part we expect the Quality Control folks have done their job and prevented any duds from entering the market.  Reality being what it is, a dud can happen.

Walt_M.

Have an update. I had yard work to do where the Vision is located so I put the battery on change for several hours. After I finished I tried to start it. Happy to report the voltage stayed above 10.6 enough to get it to fire but it wouldn't keep running. It was too late in the day and I was too tired to look farther but I'm encouraged. I will be back there tomorrow but I don't know how much time I'll have.
I made it back and am happy to report that I got it started and warmed up. I feel better about the battery now. I don't think it was fully charged when I got it and even though it started when new, it wasn't ready for extended unuse. I'll see it again next week.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

Just thought I'd post an update. I was working on other things where I keep the Vision and had some spare minutes so I decided to try and start it. And it started. Maybe this battery isn't a disappointment after all.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

That is sounding better and better!