Here I go again

Started by MoVision, December 10, 2021, 04:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoVision

Insanity is my first, middle and last name as I am thinking of welding together a new tank. I don't have the hammers, shrinker and pullers, the dimensions or an english wheel but who cares right?

The idea is to do a mock up of the tank with fiberglass and go from there welding metal together. Being completely honest it will probably be horribly square but it will give me time to ride and fix the old one as improvements in the design is made. Also thinking of 3D scanning it to make the process faster, which it may not.

In the end my only question really is, what would the metal cost me truly? I got a 2*4 sheet of 16 gauge/ 3/8ths for only $12 at lowes. If it goes well, might try to build more as well.
enjoy the wrenching... This bike was sitting for 24 years in a barn. Took a week to get running until the gas tank started leaking....carbs done, coolant lines redone, brakes, tires, new paint, wiring, coolant reservoir vapor cleaned, front forks repacked, up next rear suspension

fret not

16 GA is pretty thick for making(forming) a tank, though it would be stout.  This requires some skill and knowledge for forming the shapes, firstly for strength, and secondly for appearance.  You will need a heat source to anneal the metal from time to time as metal gets harder and more brittle as it is worked.  Annealing makes it soft again so it can be worked some more.  Also some welding equipment to put the pieces together once they are formed. 

Check with your local college Industrial Arts dept. for a class in such metal work.  They can teach you both the skills and the safety considerations for this sort of work, AND they have the facility(the place and tools) to do this.  Our tax dollars at work, so why not take advantage of the opportunity?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

MoVision

Safety is partially a concern as I have a flux core and tig machines borrowed from the neighbors. One of which is a shipyard welder. Checked out classes but my area sucks for this type of thing and a commute to Los Angeles would be called for daily.

What gauge should I be using? Was going to cheat and price shop a couple fabrication shops. I know I am paying for their experience but I wouldn't mind having that as well.
enjoy the wrenching... This bike was sitting for 24 years in a barn. Took a week to get running until the gas tank started leaking....carbs done, coolant lines redone, brakes, tires, new paint, wiring, coolant reservoir vapor cleaned, front forks repacked, up next rear suspension