News:

Main Menu

MotoGP '22

Started by fret not, January 31, 2022, 12:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt_M.

Just watched FP1, pretty wild. Quartararo and the Aprillias look ok but the Ducatis look scary. Due to the short time they'll get one more practice then qualifying. Who gets their setup right first? At least it's dry.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

I just watched the race, and the finish was not a foregone conclusion before the race started.  So far this season 9 different riders on the podium in the first 3 races.  The sharp end is heating up.
Next race is next week in Austin,TX, and we are waiting to hear whether Marc Marquez will be fit to race.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

Now we're at COTA, Marc is back and the Ducatis are fast. So is Rins and Vinales is looking good on the Aprilia. Quartararo is 3rd fastest after FP2 but it is obvious that he is trying hard. Qualifying is tomorrow.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

I hope Marc is well and healthy because I would like to see him at the top again.  However, time moves on and other riders have developed, and machines have also.  You never know what will happen when they line up on Sunday.  More qualifying tomorrow for final grid positions.  The fastest at the front (fastest in qualifying, that is).  We will see how it all works out on Sunday. 8)

Walt_M.

Qualifying is over, 5 Ducatis then Quartararo, Mir, Rins then Marc. I'd hate to bet against Marc but those Ducatis are fast.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

i don't find any current information on the race (it is after 7:00pm here on the west coast) so I wonder what happened in  Austin, TX.  There should have been some news before now, they are 2 hours ahead of our time zone, so after 9:00pm there.  What's going on? :o

fret not

:-[What an idiot!  This is Saturday, the race is Sunday!!!  No wonder there were no results posted!!!  Getting older has it benefits but memory seems not to be one of them.  Without having to keep up with a business and a calendar the days seem to flow by in uneven currents of time/reality.  That, compounded with the pressure of the approaching fire season here in the foothills, has occupied my cranial synapses to a degree that I need to check things twice and then again before making a move.  RESET:  All is well, now I can enjoy the race when it happens, just not before it happens.  (wandering off muttering)

fret not

On the MotoGP website there is a FREE video of the final 5 minutes of Qualifying (Q2).  There is some stunning camera work following the bikes, and some stunning 'ballet' as they change directions and back again.  They make it look so easy, . . .

fret not

Watching a video of Marquez's start in Texas causes me to wonder if he was in the wrong gear to start.  Funny that no one has offered a technical reason for the "operational malady".  I have seen comments that it was the electronics fault, but no definitive or official explanation yet.  I suspect, but do not know, that Marc was in the wrong gear and everyone is avoiding an embarrassing answer.  Maybe it really was the electronics.  Will we find out what really happened?  No matter the cause, Marc made a tremendous ride through the pack, from dead last to finish 6th.  During the race his lap times were consistent with the leaders, so his botched start may well have cost him the win.  But the season is young yet, and there are many more points available in the coming races.  He still may be a contender for the title at the end of the season.

fret not

We are now in Portugal at  Portimao, and it's raining.  Pol and Marc (REPSOL HONDA) stand at the top of the time sheets as we come to a close of track activity for Friday. Q2 starts Saturday and  more rain is predicted, but Sunday is supposed to be clear for the race.  Quartararo is about 20th at this time, maybe he can improve his position in Q2 on Saturday.

There have been some crashes on the rain soaked track.

fret not

Sunday's race was totally dry and there were still crashes.  Contenders struggling to be faster than 'the other guy', and pushing at the limits of control, so, what could possibly go wrong?  Miller trying to occupy the same space as Juan Mir and takes them both out.  Kind of rough on the bikes as they tumble and slide through the gravel.  Bastianini crashed out, so is no longer championship points leader. 
I am loving the VIDEO PASS at the MotoGP website.  Lots of shorter videos, highlights, slo-mo, press briefings, interviews, full races,  . . . .I just do not have enough time to see them all. 8)

Walt_M.

As a Yamaha fan, I did not have high expectations for the race so I didn't watch it on Video Pass. Was I ever proved wrong. Watching the Marquez brothers battle over 6th was quite entertaining. As for the crashes and damaged bikes, it's the engines that are most vulnerable. Everything but the engine can be replaced as needed but they only get 6 engines for the season.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Another race this weekend in Spain @ Jerez.  You never know what's going to happen.

fret not

Shocking news that Suzuki will withdraw from MotoGP at the end of this season!  That leaves five manufacturers (Honda, Ducati, Yamaha, Aprillia, and KTM)
So, where will Rins and Mir get  rides? :police:

Walt_M.

That was truly a surprise. The success they've had with their limited budget should have been more encouraging. Rumor has Mir replacing Pol at Honda. As for Rins, Yamaha could sure use some help.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

The "silly season" is in swing and  the ground is moving underfoot.  I will observe from afar, and let the dust settle.

Walt_M.

Another round is in the books. Interesting with lots of crashes. No spoilers, you need to watch. 
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

Mugello is done with and yet more woulda, coulda, shoulda. About the only thing for sure is Marc is having another surgery and will miss the rest of the season. Racing again this weekend at Catalunya.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

So, where are Rins and Mir going to get rides?  Someone said Mir to Honda and Pol out.  Ducati shuffling riders, maybe Bastianini stays at Gresini, or maybe he goes to the factory team.  I hope he stays at Gresini, either way Ducati wins.  Hopefully Aprillia fields two more bikes for a satellite team, they can benefit from the data from more bikes. (Ducati has 8 bikes to gather data).  I will continue to watch from afar. 8)

Walt_M.

Catalunya FP 1 and 2 are over. A. Espargaro and Vinales are 1-2, 3 Ducatis, Binder, Quartararo and Morbidelli. Fabio re-upped with Yamaha for 2 more years so I guess Franky decided that he'd better wake up.
Whale oil beef hooked!