News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

cleaning idle mixture screw and repair to accelerator nozzle

Started by briandneville, May 21, 2022, 01:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

briandneville

Two carb questions:

I have 2 sets of carbs I am rebuilding, both 83's.  The caps on the idle mixture screws and the plug over the access ports to these have never been removed.  It's cool to me that these are still in stock form, and I'd like to leave them alone.  But that would mean not cleaning these ports and replacing the valve parts.  I know this is a bad idea, but I'm wondering if it's a terrible idea.  Let me know what you think.

The nozzle for the accelerator has come off on one of the carbs (see photos) and I am wondering if heating the assembly with a torch and applying a small dab of plumbing solder would be an adequate fix.  If not, other ideas about how to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks!
How did it come to this?

fret not

In your pic it looks like someone has already tried to solder the thing together.  I suggest to thoroughly clean the surfaces that need to be joined, and put them together and then the torch and solder.  Clean surfaces is a necessity, and some agent (flux) to aid the flow of the solder.  Don't overheat it.  If the solder flows it is hot enough.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

briandneville

Worked!  Plumbing torch and solder.  Not as elegant as factory but the nozzle still works and is solidly attached to the post.  Thanks Fret!
How did it come to this?

The Prophet of Doom

Nice job on the solder.
Pull those plugs and clean the jets!!

briandneville

Thanks for the compliment...but that solder job failed.  Second attempt, using flux on the surface parts, worked, and the nozzle works.

Plugs out and mixture passages cleaned.
How did it come to this?