News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Wtb....starter motor

Started by JBEVARDOS, December 15, 2022, 11:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBEVARDOS

Any available? Working...used..ect..

fret not

No longer available from Yamaha.  There used to be a feature on the Ron Ayers site that would look up a part number and show all models where  else that part was used.  I found it very handy but I guess it is no longer available, at least for 'us public' consumers.  Maybe some capable computer person could make a computer do the searching of part numbers and their applications, and generate a list of the other models that use "that part".  I spent over ten years as a partsman in dealerships so I know that often a part can be used on several other models other than the model it was originally designed for.  It would be a great resource to have such a cross reference of where a part is used.  It seems to me that AI is an ideal concept for doing this.  With a 'tool' like this it would be easier to know where to look for used parts.   :police: 8)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

I've posted this several times before, but it's worth a repeat ...

Unless your starter is physically damaged you are far better off buying a rebuild kit.  They are not all that costly - about $US40 on ebay and then you will know it's good for ages.
If you are dead set on buying a used one then go for it, but it works for who knows how long? and it will be 3+ times the cost of a repair kit.

Secondhand ones are of unknown condition and there are a lot of consumable parts in a starter motor.

Fitting the kit is not a difficult process, though a little fiddly if it's your first time.  Check out this post http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=9241.msg84531#msg84531

fret not

I heartily recommend POD's suggestion to fix the one you have because any other one you get will also be as old and probably in need of repair.  I took an armature from a starter to a shop that specializes in rebuilding electric motors, and got it tested on a "growler".  That machine tests the circuits in the windings of the armature, and they can rewind it if necessary.  Mine was good, so I put in a kit of new 'wear parts'.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!