The decline of RoV

Started by The Prophet of Doom, January 04, 2023, 06:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

2022 saw another record low number of posts on RoV - just 32
Not all that long ago we were getting that a week.

It's sad to see this decline - Facebook is a decidedly crappy alternative but seems to get all the traffic

:(

jefferson

Just about all the forums I frequent are the same way. Seems everyone thinks facebook is the way to go which I just don't understand. It's absolutely horrible because you can't find anything. All you can do is scroll and scroll and scroll. If there is a way to find some thing I have no idea so I just stay away.

JBEVARDOS

Hopefully our bikes arent  forgotten!

fret not

Well, they won't be forgotten as long as we are busy with them.  They are becoming "vintage" machines as the years slip by.  Tiger had the idea of focusing his repair and resurrection of used XZ 550s, but it takes a lot of energy to keep such specialty going.  I will eventually get mine on the road and enjoy riding it here in the foothills of the Sierra Mountains and maybe farther.  One problem I see is there are other motorcycles of more modern design and convenience available these days.  XZ550s are a niche, though I think not too far from the mainstream to be enjoyed by a good number of enthusiasts,  but a niche none the less.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

kevin g

I found a nice 1983 that I got running and rebuilt the brakes and front end.  I had recently done a complete rejuvenation of a BMW R100RS and had planned to do the same with the Vision.  After I finished the RS, which was my dream bike 45 years ago, I concluded that my two modern BMWs were way, way better and sold it.

The Vision was another dream bike of mine in the 80's but work and school were a higher priority.  I rode the Vision a while but then applied the same logic to it as the RS and decided to sell it.  It was a very cool design and one of the best bikes of the 80's, but these modern machines are just so much better I cannot see another vintage machine in my garage.  I like working on bikes, but I like riding them more.  I have been to Alaska and back on a modern bike and would not think of doing that on a vintage bike.  I do back-to-back 500 mile days regularly and count on the reliability of my latest bikes.  I am fortunate to be able to be discriminating in this way.

I still check in on this site to see what is up because I will always appreciate the design of the Vision.  Such a sweet motor and the fairing was fabulous.

briandneville

Sobering to see when put in those terms, POD.  32 posts!  I think I started 5-10 of them.  And I joined this group less than 3 years ago.

I agree that FB sucks in many ways, as does the general quality of the info you get there, but I still check it daily because I like staying connected to others with a similarly bizarre interest in the XZ. 

Not sure what more to say, other than I HOPE we get more crossovers to this site.  It's been invaluable, and just generally a huge addition to my life!
How did it come to this?

pullshocks

When I bought my Vision back in '07, it was in large part because there was an active forum devoted to the bike. I see from P.O.D's chart that I joined when activity was at its peak.

Although my Vision is long gone, and my riding days are over, I still look in periodically, and post when I have something to contribute.  After reading this thread, I checked Facebook for the first time.  There is an impressive level of activity and enthusiasm there, (and even a recent post from John Clemens!) but I far prefer the forum format.  There is a tremendous amount of good info accumulated here, readily searchable.  Thanks to Ron/ArGee/Admin for maintaining the site all this time, and the many folks who took the time to assist me.

jefferson

After reading your post I decided to check the facebook site out. While scrolling since that is all you can do, I came across some terrible news. Eddie Wilbanks passed away Aug. 25th of last year. For those of you that don't know, he was a master machinist and builder. He built a Battle of the Twins racer based off a Vision engine that was heavily modded and 750cc. It was chain drive and trellis framed. Eddie built it all. He also built the Memphis Shades Vision engined flat tracker using the same basic engine. He was a really nice guy. I'm honored that I got to spend time with him a couple of times and see his Vision handiwork. Watched an hour long video on Youtube about the Memphis rodders that he was a lifelong member of. It was episode 8 that was out 10 months ago. Found out he was much more than I knew of. Pearl paint was his idea that he toyed around with and kind of got stolen from him. He was a spiritual man and I know he's in good hands.

fret not

Sorry to hear of Eddie Willbanks' passing.  I knew he was instrumental in making the Vision motor into a competitive 750cc flat tracker.  For anyone interested in making a larger displacement Vision his work is an inspiration to study.

ArrrGeee

Quote from: The Prophet of Doom on January 04, 2023, 06:30:35 AM
2022 saw another record low number of posts on RoV - just 32
Not all that long ago we were getting that a week.

It's sad to see this decline - Facebook is a decidedly crappy alternative but seems to get all the traffic

:(
yeah, unfortunately, not the best.

I do appreciate you guys stopping in from time to time
as they say, time marches on, and at some point in time this site will also.
I plan on keeping it going as long as there is some interest.

thanks
-Ron

The Prophet of Doom

Thanks Ron, we appreciate you keeping the site up for sure

If you decide the end has come, I hope you pass it on rather than just delete it.  Visions will be valuable one day, and this site will be needed

azzivar

After being a long anti-FB citizen, I finally had to succumb to joining as I thought I was missing out as this forum did seem less and less to have current posts.  After having joined FB, ONLY for the Vision site, I was sorely disappointed.  I felt I had to be on FB as I was starting a carb rebuild and ultimately discovered that I needed a part, and lo and behold, the ROV forum came through! 

I also explored all the many posts on Vision carbs and the solutions that many have used and shared on the site.  I hope that the site can stay viable as I'll be following up on the carbs with rebuilding the forks and other maintenance, including valve clearance inspection and adjustment, if needed.  (Does anyone have a tool I can rent or borrow, in the event I have to make adjustments - they appear to be "unobtainium" so far!)

Thanks all for your help in supporting this bike and all its innovation...

karmisol

Hey! My two cents are that I am frequently using the search function and using old posts as instructions and guidance for my problems. Don't think it's unused just because there are few new posts!

livetoride21

Really is a shame, but at least the FB page seems to be going strong.
There are even new posts of modifications on there!
I've been trying to document my chain drive racebike build as I go to keep people interested.

VisionMeister

Saw his Vision race at Laguna in 1985(I beleive) very unusual and fast. I think it was runnning 4 or 5 in the old Formula One Class.
He deserved the nickname the Wizard of Odd. Didn't get a chance to see him and did not know at the time who he was.
May he RIP

Bill

Today is my birthday, 72.  ROV sent me a Happy Birthday so I thought I would check in.  It was the Vision that got me back into motorcycling.  I brought a Vision back to life and had a lot of fun with it with a ton of help from this forum.  Next up was a barn find Honda Shadow 1100.  That was good for a couple years but I wanted a Harley so I bought a rebuildable Harley Road King from Copart.  Wrecked but I fixed it.  Really liked having a Harley so I bought another, this time a Harley Softail Deluxe, which I still have.  The Road King was just too heavy for me so it was sold on Craigslist.  Branched out a bit and rebuilt a Vespa scooter which is a lot of fun.  Wanted a real rebuild challenge so I recently bought a 65 Honda Superhawk which I am just in the beginning stages of rebuilding.  I'm retired now and glad to have a hobby.  All this because a guy sold me a Vision cheap because it had all the Vision gremlims,  Stator failure, Oil in the starter, and carbs that wouldn't carburate.  You guys know what I'm talking about.  The Vision taught me I can take an old bike, fix it, and ride it.  I'm still grateful.

fret not

Well, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BILL!!!  And hopes of many more.  I think that the XZ550 vision is a PROCESS we just have to experience.  Very ZEN you know.

Walt_M.

Happy birthday Bill but I've got 3 years on you and still have my Vision along with an RZ350. But my balance is so bad that I can't ride either.
Whale oil beef hooked!

VisionMeister

I thought I would post just to show I am still alive and interested in Vision. I recently worked on mine for the first time in 3 years; so much has happened.
I put some Iridiun plugs in it, trying to get better Idling. I was given Supervision's vision, which was a good runner. He had found a Vision in the neighbor hood with only 3900 miles on it and did and engine swap. Then ended up in the hospital with a brain bleed after a fall. He can't ride anymore.
I swapped my Vision's engine after dropping a valve, with an engine of unknown history. I rode it at Barber's vintage meet in 2017 with Ron McCoy and was able to get over 100 mph on the track but it had Vision Carb idle issues and backfiring. I got Super's Vision before debugging mine. So I swapped Bodywork to get the Factory red and now am getting ready to start working on my original V. Hopefully I'll have double Vision in the near future.
Vision Banner pict is from 2012 at Barber's with Artbone

fret not

I hope you continue making progress with your Visions.  You are an inspiration to those of us on this path, so hopefully we will get to see the results of your efforts.  I still aim to get mine on the road but have a few boxes to check off before that happens.  I hope to check those boxes before my box is checked.  79 this year and slight issues with balance now and then.  We will see where and how it goes.  I will be selling my KLR650 as I find it rather tall and top heavy for my liking.  The XZ is a much better fit.  I have been sidetracked with the uprooted trees from the past couple winters, mainly to mitigate the fire danger which is serious, and also supply my wood stove with fuel in the process.  Hopefully sooner rather than later I will get some time to complete the issues with my Vision, as I would like to ride it before old age takes over.