News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

modified boosters for better response and driveability

Started by jefferson, February 02, 2023, 09:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jefferson

I just got done watching a David Vizard video on modifying a 2 barrel carb for more flow, They're trying to mod a stock Mopar 318 to make 1 hp per cubic inch without buying parts and throwing at it. This is going to be as stock as stock can be.
He talks about mods to the boosters that will improve flow, but the main benefit that he talks about relative to us would be the stronger signal by putting a sharp edge at the top and bottom of the booster. Looking at the booster on an 83 carb there is a noticeable flat edge from the od to the beginning of the inside of the booster. I do have some experience with this as I did this to the booster on a 16 horse Briggs v=twin on a riding mower. It caused it to run too rich to the point it was unusable without rejetting. I got a high altitude jet for it which was the only leaner jet available and have it installed now. The batteries a goner so haven't tried it to see how it does now.
This just might help our issue with carburetion transitions. This would come with a caveat as jetting would most likely be needed. I have always thought that there wasn't a good enough signal to the boosters which caused the bogging.
Look his video up on youtube and see what you think. David Vizard is a well renowned engine builder, tuner, and author. Very well respected in his trade.