News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

petcock

Started by b. rock, June 23, 2003, 03:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b. rock

Anyone who is in the know-
Okay, this is a pretty stupid question, but my vision went dead on a ride and when disassembling the bike I noticed the fuel petcock only lets gas out in PRI, not ON or RES. Should it run out freely in those two settings as well? I seem to recall that it did before but I might have lost me mind. If it does then I've spent far too much time trying to find a problem I didn't have to but it would be nice to be done with it.
Thanks...

Walt M

The petcock is vacuum operated. Did you break a vacuum line, it's the skinny one in front.

Lucky

The petcock will only let fuel flow when on "on" or "res" when the engine is running (it is vacume operated) 'prime', as the name implies, will let fuel flow anytime.  the petcock is "off" when the engine is off, and is set to 'on' or 'res'.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

b. rock

hmm. maybe the vacuum line broke or split, I'll check when I get home. There are 3 lines from the petcock to the carbs so I'll just check the other end of the skinny (center I think?) one and make sure it's kosher. I had thought that was the operation but it's a lot easier when positive. thanks!

Lucky

Ok, you have an 83... the other fat line to the petcock is a fuel return line.  This might be kind of obvious, but of course you won't see fuel comming out of the petcock on "on" or "res" unless the bike is running with the fuel line off!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black