News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Hagon Mono Shock

Started by joevacc, June 21, 2003, 05:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joevacc

I am in the process of ordering a Hagon mono shock for my '82. ?I was wondering if anyone has heard of them or used them? ?And also if there is any difference between the US bikes and their Euro counter parts as far as fit goes?

Best,

joevacc
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Rick G

Youv'e got me Joe , never heard of a Hagon . Where are you located?
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

joevacc

I'm in NY.  The reason I ask - is because the company is English and I am still not sure if they cater to US imports.  There is a dealer here doing the leg work for me but I am anxious to find out whether the part number we came up with will work.
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Humber

Anything that is US 82 is interchangable with every EU model... the major differences were introduced in an 83 USA ver.

Things that are strictly 83 are marked 28V in the parts catalogue... those EU ones start from 11U.... and the rest is 11H

BUT:
Yesterday I saw a Vision with the Vin starting from 11J. The only practical difference I could notice was instrument cluster dial faces. Very similar to 83 ones but with large km/h and small mph/s sections. There was no fuel gauge and of course, I wonder about the gear ratios on that V.

nie ma podpis?w

joevacc

Thanks Humber,  I was hoping you would chime in.
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
Helen Keller

jasonm.

The speedo's in the U.S. are unique. Since we're the minority the uses mph rather than kph. 11J means Japan. All VIN numbers start with J...= origin of maunufacture>Japan.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Lucky

So Joe, how about some ordering & price info?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

joevacc

Well,  The USA dealer is  Dave Quinn Motorcycles  in Connecticut.

http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc/home.html

The book he was looking in asked if the VIN # started with 11U...  Of course mine is 11H.  (Thanks to my new education on the subject of VIN prefixes I am assuming 11H means USA models)  As Humber stated above he thinks the two models are the same and I hope and think Humber is right.

Very nice man, Dave Quinn, - he has quoted me the price of $335.00 plus shipping.  The Hagon web site quoted ?248.00 which converts to $411.95.  This is a lot of money but I have not been able to find another brand rear shock.  I have Progressive springs in the forks and am extremly happy with them.  They were my first choice for the rear but they only have the spring available for our bikes.  There is ?hlins Racing AB shocks but they don't have a production model for the Vision and the last one I looked at was beautiful to say the least but was in the $1400.00 range!  I'd hate to ask how much a one off would be.

I will be sure to let everyone know as soon as I know anything.

Best,

joevacc
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
Helen Keller

Walt Miller

I've never heard of the Hagon shock either. Has anyone checked with Works Performance lately? They used to make a shock for the Vision but it has been a while. I think they are still in business, concentrating on vintage dirt bike stuff. I'm not in the market yet as my bike has only 10,400 miles on it but, if I keep it, I'll eventually be looking.

rick_nowak

hagon has been around for a long time in england,  making shocks and other things-rims, etc for Limey bikes of all sorts.  i believe that they are a repuitable company, always have adverts in the $8 english bike mags  dealing in triumph, velocette, bsa, matchless, ariel..... I had several velocettes in the day-the truest english motorcycle. 350 and 500 cc singles, starting drill, handlebars dripping with levers, etc.  i would like to own one again.  not a visionary experience.
enjoy your day

jasonm.

Hey, This Dealer is only about a 1/2 hour from my house. I will stop by when I can.

jasonm.

Is the Hagon shock an adjustable damping type?

RobTx

From their website:
http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/main1st.htm

" A range of units for roadster, trial and superbikes featuring adjustable damping with automatic rebound and compression balance. Also adjustable for spring preload with adjuster ring. Fully rebuildable, red powder coated spring and plated body. Supplied with damping adjuster key. "

So yes, damping is adjustable, but rebound and compression are tied together.

Rob

QBS

Just perused the Hagon price list for the V.  By the time shipping is factored in you'd be looking at close to $400.00 USD.  Cheers.

joevacc

I talked to Dave at Dave Quinn Motorcycles this morning - he got back discouraging remarks from Hagon.  So being my impatient self I called Progressive to ask a tech about the Vision.  The tech looked it up and confirmed what the website states... There is only a spring available for the Vision.

However, the tech said, why don't you call Works Performance at 818-701-1010 and ask them. [I should have taken Walt Miller's lead sooner]!  I called them and they said no problem we can do it.  So, I ordered one from them.

They quoted $319.00 for a unit with a gas reservoir. They also have one available without the reservoir for $259.00.
The whole thing sounds better to me.  They have a 30-day RIDE guarantee and a 12-month warranty for their products.  The Hagon, which is not, a gas shock does not seem as hip to me in comparison for those and other reasons.

They are custom making the shock and it will take about 2.5 weeks for delivery.  They asked me my weight and riding style and said they will set it up for me at the factory!

It of course is completely rebuildable and the oil and seals can be changed as maintenance after 35,000 miles.  So we shall see what we shall see.  I hope it works out.

Best,

joevacc

P.S.  The Works site is:

http://www.worksperformance.com/
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
Helen Keller