Yamaha Manual Electrical diagram

Started by Brian Moffet, May 30, 2003, 05:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

I was just looking at the electrical diagram in the Service Manual for my 83, and I noticed that it lists 3 white wires, a red, and a black wire.  According to the manual, the black wire goes straight to a brown wire, which is eventually connected to positive at the ignition switch...

Now, according to my Owners Manual, the black wire is ground, (which makes sense) and connects to frame ground. And the brown wire goes to the main switch to be connected to the red and blue wire in the ignition switch (US models)

Anyone actually traced this on their vision?  If so, am I correct that the manual should list the brown wire as coming out of the regulator?  It looks like the Haynes Manual  (Fig 8.13) is the same as the Service Manual (page 7-1 and page 22 of RK addendum)

Thanks
Brian

Lucky

Look closer at the service manual diagram, it shows the R/R box as grounded (poor diagram, it should show a BLack wire) and the brown wire is simply marked "B"

according to the diagram on Pp 7-1 the brown wire is only powered while the key is in the ON position, and feeds the head, sig & ign fuses

Red comes from the battery, to the main fuse, and to the R/R (actually TO the battery, to recharge it) and also powers the main switch

Black is indeed ground
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

Yeah. saw that the regulator was grounded, which made the "black" wire coming from the regulator that much more confusing.

So, the service manual used the wrong color code for the wires coming out of the R/R.  I can live with that as soon as I change them all :-)

Brian