News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

New Bike

Started by Vanny, May 19, 2003, 01:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanny

I just bought my first bike yesteday, a totally mint condition 82 Vision with 13K on it. I am/was very happy with my buy as I think I got a good deal until I came home and did some reading on the "Net" and all I see is "TCI" electrical problems with my bike.  I had a little ride on it before I bought it and it seemed to run great.  I am riding now just waiting for a problem instead of enjoying the bike. I have just waited a long time for a bike as I am a student, and I want things to go well as I don't have a lot of extra $$. Are there things that I should do to make it more reliable, or should I just ride the thing and not worry so much!!

~VANNY

QQBS

Closely study Luckys' site.  If the sarter clutch installation is OEM, prepare to repair its installation within the next 8 to 10 k miles.  The sooner the better.  Assuming that the starter oil seal is OEM, replace it with a spring lip desighn as soon as possible.  Clean to bright and shiney condition and grease both of the Reg/Rec connectors.  Same for the spark coil connectors.  Install an inline fuel filter immediatlely.  Clean to bright and shiney condition the inside area of the fuse holder prongs, lightly grease that area.  Clean the ends of the fuses the same way.  Take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Riders Course.  Subscribe to Motorcycle Consumers News.

When properly set up and sorted out the V is a wonderful bike for many things, miles, and years.  Enjoy.  Cheers.

Jeff

Welcome and not to worry...Enjoy the ride and keep intouch. Alot of experience here all you have to do is ask..
Jeff

Lucky

My first Vision was $50, not ridden in 9 years, today it's almost done, but I was riding it a month after i bought it & at that point spent only about$140 in say.. $20 increments.
the bike doesn't have to be a money pit

probably the most expensive purchase you MAY have to make is a stator & Reg/rec  from Electrex for $135 & $115 (same order.) ($400 from Yamaha, and the Electrex stuff is better)

But DT has some sucess rewinding stators i believe for less, and there are other Yamaha reg/rec's that you can get out of junkyards used for less. i forget which ones work.

also, the guys here have parts to sell, usually for much less because we are all friends (You to now).

PLUS watch Ebay, there is allways stuff comming up there for the bike.

keep the TCI dry, and also, pull the 4 screws off the back and SOAK ithe insides in WD-40.  DON'T try to pull the TCI out of it's case, you will destroy it.  pick up a spare when you can afford it, keep it well wraped in plastic with some of those "dessicant" bags you find in electronics packages.  at last check they were around $400 from Yamaha!  be patient, you will find a spare. these bikes (unfortunatly) get parted out a lot :(

i'm working on my second Vision now which has sat 10 years, i had it running well with a few hours work.  since yours is already running well, your ahead of the curve.

just remember the bike is 20+ years old, and the secret to keeping it happy is attention to detail, and regular mainainence.  nothing that has tonbe devistatingly expensive, and remember, we're here for you, no one here wants to see a V die!

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

And make sure to get out and ride it!

I am the original owner of a 1983, and I really believe that the reason it has been so problem free is because I rode it.  I used it as a commute vehicle, 10 mile round trip, every working day of the year, for the first 10 years of its life.

Of course, it's been garaged almost its entire life as well, so that probably helps too. :-)

Brian

Vanny

Thanks for your replies guys, I am really excited about the bike and I see that there is a lot of support in this forum, if anything goes wrong with my new "Vintage" machine.  I will be around asking lots of questions.

Thnx