News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

where to source carb rebuild kits?

Started by mark, May 16, 2003, 04:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark

well, after dissasembling, quick cleaning, and reassembly of my carbs, my bike runs like sh*t. will not rev over 7g's and tops out at about 60 on the hiway... I want to rebuild my carbs. now. so where to I get the necessary parts to do so? I want everything. like, for real...everything. one of the floats looked suspect, and I dont like the rubber in there at all. can someone help?

Lucky

Sorry, no such animal...
There are NO rebuild kits ava.  you can buy parts such as jets at most bike shops
but I think you'd be better off cutting the REV limiter wire at the TCI (yellow wire with the black stripe)  sounds like it's fritzing out, a common thing.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

mark

yo, done did that... will a crappy fuse box/old fuses do this? I have like zero power, and not really any throttle to speak of. if I use anything more than say, 1/8th throttle, the engine bogs down. I am really not sure what it is, but I am thinking it is mainly in the carbs. bike wont idle, throttle is useless, engine misses, surges, etc...

it will just take time to sort out, I am sure...

Cdnlouie

Mark, sorry to hear about your trouble. ?Let me say this, there is no peace of mind like knowing your carbs are in great shape. ?Also, you need a totally clean tank to keep those carbs in decent shape. ?You can clean them and drive around the block and have problems again if your getting a good supply of crud from your tank (I.e fine rust, etc.).

Did your carbs have rust and gunk in them when you took them apart? ?If so, guess where it came from?

Also, did you take out the big slotted plug in the bottom of the fuel bowl and clean the jet way up in there?  This carb really needs the Chem dip to clean out the maze of jetting circuits found in it.

Hope you can sort things out,

Louie ?:(

Lucky

more thoughts..
You installed an inline filter I hope! goes to what louie was saying...

also, check the flapper door in the aircleaner,make sure it's working, sounds like the bike is running rich.  if the flapper doesn't open, (stuck closed) you could bog down
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

mark

here goes...

took tank off bike this morning, fuel filter full of gas.
crank bike, observe spray pattern: nozzles that point down look weak(no atomization) and nozzles that spray into the secondary venturi (the one in the middle of the main/big one) kind of sputtered some gas out when I would try to use more than 1/2 throttle.

carbs were full of fine rust when dissassembled.
main jets are probably clogged.
gastank is on there right now just so I can ride around. has pieces of old liner and a fine coat of fresh rust on it.

bike runs as expected...

so  I bought a rusty, hole-y UN-linered tank from a lister, POR-15  and AB epoxy is ready, so all that is left is the shitty carbs.  I really didnt like the way a  couple of the o-rings, fuel floats, accelerator pump diaphragm, petcock, jets, etc. looked when I took them apart. so I want to replace them. where should I go? I have been looking at the schematics on bike bandit, but havent tried to order anything. what is my best bet? should I just send them to you? I can do the work myself (dont worry, I am competant) but dont know where to find parts.

oh yea, I laid the f*cker down this morning...

ouch,
mark

sdinino

I ended up getting a parts bike and combining the best carb pieces from each into something resembling a working pair. Your best bet is to keep an eye on ebay, they show up every once in a while...

-- Steve D