News:

Main Menu

VIN decoding

Started by gbranche, May 15, 2003, 04:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbranche

I registered my '83 today, and California DMV informed me, via my new registration form, that I have an '82, based on the VIN. I dispute this, because if this bike is an '82, it's doing a damn fine job of masquerading as an '83. It's got all of the '83 parts, as far as I can tell: KYB air forks, dual disks on the front, fuel gauge in the instrument panel, fuel gauge sender unit in the tank, black original exhaust (as opposed to the chrome), black swingarm, damping-adjustable rear shock, and the full fairing (did I miss anything?).

So, does anybody have a magic decoder ring which will allow me to examine my VIN myself to determine why the DMV is confused? The VIN on the bike is JYA11H001DA100748.

Thanks,

Greg

Rick G

Its probably a 83 year model sold prior to January 1 1983 so DMV calls it a 82.  I lived in CA for 47 years  and delt with DMV,  so you can be assured  you have my sympathy
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

According to the Yamaha Service Manual:
Fed VIN # for 82 RJ:  JYA11H00*CA000-101
Fed VIN # for 83 RK:  JYA11H00*DA100-101

Mine is:         82 RJ   JYA11HOO8CA006-543  
Yours is:                  JYA11H001DA100-748

I would guess yours is as Rick said, an 83 built in late 82 a common practice by all vehicle manufacturers.

why mine has an "8" where the asteric goes, and yours has a "1"?  who knows, it might be a production plant, or country of destination (Canada as opposed to USA poss?) or even a revision # (pun intended.)

I thinks what identifies yours as an 83 is "DA1"

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

What to do with my numbers???;)

My bike - 11U053202

Spare parts bike - 11U002004

????
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

is that the whole #?... the one you use is the one on the front of the frame (or registration)

Humber

it is my complete VIN... it is my VIN from frame and engine...;))
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

The Yamaha manual made for us dealers calls it a "Federal" VIN # meaning US vehicles.  We must require use of our own system here, I I do know that it's required by law to be 17 digits.  If you have a Euro (German?, Polish?) version of the manual, check in appendices.  in the manual I have, it is the original 82 manual with a suppliment in the front for 83.  both have appendices, so I compaired the info to get my answer.  if your manual only is for one year, then see if you can find someone with a manual for a different year, same country, and compair the two (or even a V, diff year and compair the VIN #'s.)

for official documents here, it's allways by frame #.  I think engine # is used mostly by the parts guys to identify an engine with a mid production year change.  Obviously it's helpfull too so you can tell if the engine has been changed, as the #'s should match.