News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Question and Possible Solution Regarding Petcocks

Started by YellowJacket!, May 14, 2005, 01:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

I'm in a funny situation.  I have an 82 Vision with an 83 gas tank and petcock.  The petcock is shot...corroded and rusted...and I feel that I'm in a sinking boat with a few others as far as a replacement goes.  I have read that a 83 Virago petcock may work but want to know if there are any other alternatives.
Also, I know someone locally that owns a custom bike shop and was wondering if it would be worth asking him if he could weld a new plate on the tank for a different petcock and if something like that would work.  Has anyone successfully done that?
I've searched the forums and petcock returns quite a few hits, so forgive me if I have revived a dead or beaten to death thread.

Thanks,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Dave -

If you can get your tank modified to accept a readily available petcock, I think that may be a good way to go.  Only drawback is the possibility of shoddy workmanship or if you really want to keep it as close to stock as possible.  Otherwise, I'd say go for it!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Walt_M.

You might want to consider price. How much would the mods cost? I've been fighting(and losing) a petcock battle with my '83 since I got it back on the road 2 yrs ago. I even bought a tank and petcock on ebay last year. That petcock was worse than my original! And I still have a horrible leak! I'm actually considering ordering a new one, at 90 bucks!
Whale oil beef hooked!

YellowJacket!

Walt,

Thats what I'm considering too.  Overall, the tank is in great shape aside from rust inside..which I plan to Por15.  I saw the link for the $90.00 petcock too, but I'm thinking cost and future.  If I use an 83 petcock and it goes bad, what are my chances of getting another one?  Modding the tank may or may not cost the same, but at least (I hope) I would have a common and less problematic petcock that I could easily replace if need be.
As far as original goes, I am trying (emphasis) to keep the bike as original as possible but I think I can slide on the petcock.  Afterall, it is an 83 tank on an 82 Vision.  ;)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Coil Coyle

Your modification will need to provide:
1. A return to tank line to keep the fuel circulating, this prevents
vapor lock in the fuel pump that you will get if you "T" the return into the supply. The small ammount of fuel circulating will overheat faster than the whole tank full of fuel.
2. A shut off valve in the return line to the tank. This prevents back feeding the carbs with gravity when the fuel level is above the carbs.
3. A fuel line shut off valve,  :D

I just wish the two 82 kit guy would tell us what "silicone gel" is ;D

Lets start a "Phantom XV500 petcock" search with Sirius Con.

83vtwin

? ? silione gel is used on electrical connections to prevent corrosion the stuff does not harden like the gasket sealor mine is made by general electric it will not wash out with petroleum fluides, like other products and will last forever mine has lasted 3 years

Coil Coyle

OK, is this the stuff that someone posted could be spread around the Smaller 82 diaphrams to mount two of them in an 83 petcock?

The gel fills the gaps around the edges? What part number is on the tube/can?

If it is would you describe how you positioned the 82 diaphrams to
mount them in this gel?

Like DCHAKRAB tried a week or so ago? Check the pictures at.
        How do I rebuild Mr. Petcock?
on: 05/06/05 at 12:07:55

coil

ProfessorRex

I think that DCHAKRAB is the first person who's actually tried to use two '82 kits to re-build an '83 petcock.  It didn't work.  Putting a bunch of silicone based grease in there isn't going to make it work.  Your best bet is the 82 to 83 adapter that lucky put on the site last week.  It doesn't look hard to build at all.  Then you can easily find '82 petcocks and '82 rebuild kits.

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Lucky

if you do that adapter i drew, you'll need to add some kind of a check valve to prevent fuel from backwashing into the carbs when the bike is off & the fuel level is above the top of the return tube.
you'll need to know the fuel pressure of the return line & adjust a spring loaded ball check or some other check valve.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

dchakrab

I used non-hardening gasket sealant...the idea wasn't to get it around the smaller '82 diaphragms to make them work, my idea was to use it to seal the outer rim of the petcock...to act as a gasket, basically, and seal the thing. I'm perfectly happy living with two fuel valves if the bike will run and not dump a tankful of gas in the parking lot every day.

It didn't work. The petcock still leaks, though *much* less than previously...I would go back for another try at sealing the thing, just to get the bike running, but it's a lot of pain and extremely messy, and I should have superfly's replacement petcock in the mail soon.

Then if I can just title this thing, I'm well on the way to getting my licence :)

-Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.