Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin L Clinton

Lucky would you post the valve tool adjustment deminsions again? thanks Kevin

h2olawyer

Kevin -

I may not be Lucky, but try this:

//www.xz550.com/art_files/ValveShimTool.jpeg

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tdub

Wouldn't it be cool to have shim under bucket?? ;) ;)
Always Looking for the Next Race

jasonm.

COOL What? spend half the day and pull the cams, change shims and re-time the cams...NO THANK YOU. Any bike with less than a 10k redline does not need shim under. VMAX turns 9.5k...shim over. Honda to make money for the Dealers and keep parts common in their manufacturing, went to shim under for most over their bikes...even the GoldWing with its 6000 redline. ?I guess most out there have not done shim under bucket valve adjust...it sucks.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Tdub

Yeh, but when your turning 13,000rpm it sucks even more having a shim spit out.
I doubt Honda went from shim over to under just so the dealers could make more money. JMO Tdub

Kevin

Thanks for the info. shim under bucket not needed for street and a pain in the butt to adjust.Kevin :)

Cdnlouie

If you are looking for the valve tool it is available from Yamaha and not terribly expensive, unless you enjoy building things of course.

FYI

Louie

Paul_Jungnitsch

It's not that tough to unbolt the cams on the Vision and lift them up a bit to change the shims. I did that after fussing with a tool from Yamaha that gave me all kinds of problems.

I had to do this once and clearance held from then (35,000 km or so) until the engine was done (85,000 km).

Rick G

Honda has been over engineering it stuff , right from the begining!
You should hear the screams from people who who have to pay 700. for a valve adjustment on the one with the "trick "  stuff that unloads half the valves at lower RPM.  As for me if the cams have to come out  to adjust the valves , I don't want the thing!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Cdnlouie

That's unbelievable Rick.  I wouldn't touch a piece of engineering that had such high maintenance cost. Cost is becoming the big issue with performance enhancements today.  Real motorcycling is being able to do most of your own maintenance and within a poor man's budget.  Eventually the retro concept with "back to basics" may start to grab a hold in the market.  It's groups like ROV that keep the concept of a real motorcycle experience alive.

One of the old guys  ::),

Louie

Superfly

I just ordered one from the Dealer... $34.99, sometimes I will gladly pay for something just so I do not have to make it!! ;D
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Walt_M.

That seems expensive but they do work, at least mine does. Just don't misplace it, they are not very big and can 'hide' under stuff in the tool box.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Tdub

Apparently, the "wink" after my shim under bucket didn't convey the message I intended. In our application with the race bike and the RPMs we are turning, the shim under arrangement was a must have. Our stable includes 3 XR750s, 2 Visions hybrids, and 6 YZF450/505s, all requiring almost weekly maintenance.
Anyway, time to go tear the Vision down as we put on almost 100 laps testing yesterday. Later, Tdub

VisionMeister

Hey, Tdub.
Are you running shim under?
What kind of revs does the Race V turn?
Are you running with the Counterbalancer?
It seems if a 750 Harley can stay together with its vibes that a V could run without a counterbalancer.

Tdub

Yes
12,500 so far
No C/B
Testing went well this week, but still have some work to do before Joliet. It is looking very promising. Tdub

Humber

by the way, I still have a valve tool for sale and 33 shims

nie ma podpis?w

supervision

ha Tdub, did ya run it a twingle yet?   Dave
" border="0

Tdub