News:

Main Menu

ARrrggg ( Charging )

Started by MrMe, April 13, 2005, 02:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMe

Got a r/r from a cx 500.

I ran the ground wire directly to the bat -
and this wire is still getting smoking hot ?
Why ?
Is this a ground short ?
bout to give up.
Brian

Superfly

Did you run the ground straight from the RR to the Battery negative, or did you run a extra wire from the harness (with the RR hard-wired into the harness) to the battery negative?
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

MrMe

r/r - directly to bat -

as far as i know the ground aint sposed to cary any current.

im lost...

ofstone

If you are sure the wire you are talking about is the minus, and there is no other wire coming from the R/R also beeing very hot, then you probably have a shorted stator or broken R/R rectifier.
Check all 3 white wires coming from the stator with a DVM set to resistor measurement, with R/R not connected. None of them should be connected to ground/chassis.

If one or more of the 3 wires is connected to ground, it wil short the current from the stator to the chassis and only trough the black wire back to the R/R and stator. The current can be very high so it will heat up your wire (and possibly more).

There is a very good charging system test (PDF file) at the electrex site: www.electrexusa.com.

This will help you to check out a charging problem and to see what part/component is faulty.

Normally the ground wire carries the same current as the Red wire (positive). The current flow is a closed loop, what goes in, must come out.

MrMe

yea i know
im gonna go test the stator. I thought it tested fine but thats the only reason i can think of for it heating up that wire.
Oh well at least the charging system will be new....

MrMe

stator passed every test except ac voltage
all 3 were over 50 but not the same.
So i assume the stator is pooched causing the short ?

MrMe

hmmm me thinks i found the prob.
is black crumbeling epoxy on a stator a bad thing ?
oh well.
Brian

Rick G

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Superfly

Welcome to the Flaming Stator Club....

louthepou

Super, you could ask MrMe to send you his fried stator for your collection!  ;D

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Superfly

Yeah, I am still working on that neclace for you-know-who!!! LOL!!

MrMe

Now the question is are the stators from eletrex better than the oem ones. I have no issues dropping that amount of coin
other than 3 weeks without riding. But i have issues with putting an oem one back in there. I dont want to do this every season.
Brian

Superfly

I bought one from Ricks Electrics, and it works great.  Very happy with it.

h2olawyer

Hmmm - black, crumbly epoxy - I had one just like that.  Welcome to the fried stator wing of ROV!   ::)

Mine's also a Rick's.  Only been in about a year so I can't speak to durability.  Maybe not as pretty an Electrex but so far, it works great.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.