News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Running REALLY rough.  HELP!!

Started by rpliska, April 12, 2005, 06:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpliska

I just got an '82 XZ550 and I'm really pumped to ride it, but I can't get the thing to stay running.  It was sitting for about a year, so I changed the gas in the tank, changed the spark plugs, opened the carb, and cleaned out as much junk as I could, and it still won't run properly.  

I can get it to start and it will idle, but as soon as I throttle it, I have to keep pumping the throttle like crazy to get it to stay running.  If I try to hold the throttle on at anything over idle, it dies right away.  

Any Ideas?  

Lucky

Get a can of Berrymans carb dip  ($12-$14 at Pepboys) & rebuild the carbs. since you've already have the tops off, i'm sure you can handle this. the carbs are not as complicated as they look.

some of the passages are only thousandsths of an inch in diameter. Any dirt in the passages will cause the conditions you describe.

You can try running berrymans or seafoam fuel injector cleaner (1 can per full tank) sometimes it makes a big difference. use a second can/tankful if needed.  DO NOT use the fuel injector cleaners if the tank is lined with Kreem, it'll desolve this coating (off white vynal coating that you can scratch with a nail) if the tank is coated with POR-15, (silver-metalic rock hard epoxy coating) then it's fine to use the cleaners

I've rebuilt dozens of Vision carbs, so what i say comes from experience:
1- before you do anything, count the turns in to LIGHTLY SEATED on both pilot screws & write this number down!

2- DO Not turn the synq rod between the carbs when removing it other than to loosen the lock nut & make sure the rod threads are not frozen. return the rod to the original position until the carbs are back on & you can properly synq it with a manometer ($45 at any m/c shop, well worth the investment)

3- if there isn't one, find one of those cone shaped fuel filters with the sintered bronze elements & install it between the petcock & carbs.

the plastic drain fittings on the bottom of the carbs do not come off, but will break off if your not careful, so be carefull.

also, do not attempt to remove the throttle plates to get to the throttle shaft seals, you'll regret it.  do not dip the carbs for more than 1/2 hour each & the seals will be fine.

flush the carb parts with a garden hose & blow dry with compressed air after dipping.

see my site Visionm Resources at http://www.xz550.com for more info on carbs & the bike in general.

Congrats on a fine purchase!!
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ProfessorRex

Welcome!  Where are you located?  Become a member of the site and put your location on the Member Map.  This web-board is an invaluable resource in maintaining/fixing the vision.  There is no way mine would run without this site!

Enjoy, and visit often.
Rex  

Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Superfly

Welcome.

Hopefully you are not in California, the carb-dip's out here are nothing more than colored water....
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

EH

I have a set of cleaning files that are used for cleaning oxy/acetylene burner tips that are available at any welding shop. I can't count the times I've used them to clean carburetor orifices and passages. Okay I've done it twice. They are less then $5.00 and will clean any opening on any carburetor. They fold into their little case like a set of do it all allen wrenches and I recommend them to anyone with stuffed up carbs.