CRANK???????????83+82

Started by 2VRoy, April 13, 2005, 03:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2VRoy

I HAVE AN 1983 ENGINE WITH A SCOURED CRANK WHERE THE CONNECTING ROD JOURNALS MOUNT, CAN YOU REPLACE THE CRANK IN THE 83 WITH A CRANK FROM A 82? I HAVE AN 82 ENGINE THAT I AM TEARING APART TO CHECK THE CRANK AS THERE IS PLAY IN THE CONNECTING RODS. WHICH MAY BE THE SAME PROBLEM OR IT MIGHT BE JUST WORN JOURNALS. THANKS FOR ANY INFO AND KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN!
Keep the rubber side down!

Rick G

There are differances in the two cranks  and off hand  I'd say no you cant interchange them, but I'd have to  read the factory manual a bit to be sure.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

ProfessorRex

Why would there be differences? and What would they be?
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Rick G

Don't quote me , my manuals are at the shop, but there are differances in the radius  on the journals. who knows why Yamaha does anything?
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rick G

And I think the flywheels are 1 mm smaller in diameter. maybe Jason Morris will chime in , he knows it all by heart.
Rick G

dshaw340

Believe it or not I was just reading about that last night.  I took the book to work with me or I would have a definite answer for you.  But if I remember right, the 83 K engine crank will not fit the 82.  To make sure there are two markings on the crank itself.  One is the number 2 and the other I can't remember.  If somebody doesn't beat me to it, I'll post it tomorrow.  I feel for you 2VROY as I am going through the same scenario.  If the bearings in the crankcase halves are gone good luck on finding any.  I understand that they are not making them anymore.  Fortunately mine aren't too bad.  Any idea as to what caused the problem?

Humber

83 crank will fit 82 if you follow with changing the rods and other compontents which were strictly 83....
nie ma podpis?w

2VRoy

What other parts besides the connecting rods would have to be switched? The rest of the motor seems tight enough, but only a tear down will tell for sure.
Keep the rubber side down!

dshaw340

Reading from the Hayes book, "Crankshafts installed in RK model engines have two digits stamped into the left side crank web.  The left digit (2) is the crankshaft ID number; the right digit is the crankpin (journal) size code.  Crankshafts that do not have the ID number "2" cannot be installed in an RK engine.

Hope this is helpful.