News:

Main Menu

Idle finiky!!

Started by 93stx, May 06, 2003, 04:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

93stx

I have been taking my 82' Vision to work lattly and it seems to Idle fine at first and then after I have been riding for a while the Idle will start to flux between 800-1500 RPM's is there anything I can do to fix this???

Thanks
Nick

jasonm.

It is surely a vacuum leak somewhere. Could be the YICS box or hoses. Both go bad. If the box is bad. Remove the screws. Whack a corner with a hammer to pop it open. Then use J.B. Weld on ALL edges and middle.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Lucky

That's a "hunting idle" and it does indeed indicate a YICS leak.  normaly a regular vacume leak will just change the idle as the mixture is leaned out, but because the YICS is moving fuel mixture, the idle fluctuates, yes, check it for leaks (see my site) and replace the hoses with 1/4 inch fuel line, or better yet 1/4" I.D fuel injector hose (more expensive, but is collaps resistant)
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

cjones

Actually, it doesn't necessarily mean a leak in the YICS system.  Many years ago, I had the same problem, and it turned out to be the vacuum hoses collapsing on themselves, especially once they got good and warm.  Anyway, do as Lucky suggests and replace the YICS hoses with something that won't collapse-- like the fuel line he suggests.

Best of luck,

E. C. Jones

Humber

You had better not look for any leaks... just dissasemble the carb... change everything together with hoses and u will be fine... I did it last week and I amm happy with the results... u wil change the hoses... another thing will come up.... just overhaul it...
nie ma podpis?w

bmeyer6472

I just did as Lucky recommends, replaced the YICS hoses with fabric braided hose - no more idle problems. It's an easy job. My original hoses were collapsing, even though they looked OK. Vision runs GREAT now! :D
Bob