Main Menu

Help!!

Started by Gary Kerr, April 21, 2003, 10:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Kerr

A buddy Just gave me an 82 Vision yesterday.  Only problem is, there are no keys.  Anyone got an idea on how to get a key?
This has sat in a shed for the last three years because it would not start.

Cdnlouie

Gary, it might be cheaper to buy an ignition set on ebay for the ignition and seat (and tank cap if you were real lucky).

I do know that you can order a key blank from Yamaha, therefore if a locksmith can provide the correct pattern to copy you could do this option (and I don't know if this is possible).

You were able to order the right key already cut from the ignition serial number, but again I am not sure if this option is currently available.

Others may want to comment on my unknowns,

Louie ? :-/

Gary Kerr

Thanks.  Any way to remove the seat without the key?
I can hot wire the ignition, but I want to check the fuse box under the seat.

Humber

Kenny, if you manage to provide locksmith with your seat holder assembly, then he will dismantle it and make a proper key for you, it is possible since some time ago I lost keys to my friend's briefcase.... and I brought the case to the locksmith and he managed to make a key for me.... costed a lot but it is possible....

At the same time, you could provide him with any XZ550 key so to show him a proper form of a it. From my experience ?I know that their key catalogues have mistakes and I had a situation that the guy opened his catalogue, found XZ550 and actually, the key in his catalogue was different from original. In the end we found a proper pattern but providing him a key will make things easier.....

Taking out the seat is not a problem, get down to it from the other side of the bike, take off the plastic panel and then remove snap-rings from seat's hinges....
nie ma podpis?w

Jeff

No Problem buddy....movers lost my key once awhile back and I just had to pull the ignition switch and take it up to yamaha dealer.  Parts counter guy looked at the numbers on the ignition switch and cut a new key in minutes for a couple bucks..got a spare on cut too..I think both keys were $5 with tax.
Good Luck,
Jeff

Rick G

Some yamaha dealers are not set uo for this, I loaded my bike up and took it to  a locksmith (call first  and set it up)  in 15 min i was all set . if you can't move the bike just take the ignition switch  as its probably the easiest to remove. Get a spare too!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike