News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

$5 air filter

Started by RobTx, April 10, 2003, 05:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobTx

I homebrewed a new air filter for my Vision using an STP air filter from Autozone and the base from a stock filter.  Works great.  A tutorial with pictures on whats involved is at //www.robmay.com/airfilter.htm   Pretty soon I gonna have my own Vision resources page if I keep working on this thing. :)
Rob

TXVision

Hey Rob, that's cool. And I was just thinking today about where to get an air filter. Looks like I'm off to the Autozone....   :)

RobTx

Oops, I made a mistake.  If you went to my website, I had the wrong filter number.  It's corrected now.  Should be an STP 3903, not the other number I had up there.  Sorry for the inconvenience.
Rob

Cdnlouie

Tried to find your site Rob, no luck! ?Where did you hang it? ?Some Vision resource your going to be! ?Get your act together, must be that Texas heat.

Looking forward to more creativity,

P.S. Tried again and what do you know it worked.  Nice Job!

I really like the implication to "just jump on the airbox" to stuff that last 1/16 of an inch in.

Lucky

But you'll have to come up with a new name, "Vision Resources" is taken :D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

RobTx

Yeah, Lucky, I was thinking of "Rob's Cheap Ass Vision Fixes".  LOL  
Rob

jasonm.

Hate to be a bummer. But the original filter is hard on both sides because it is squeezed in tightly by the lid. It's only a matter of time before your new filter is just bouncing around and not making a good seal.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

RobTx

Hi Jason,
The vertical moldings on either side of the flapper assembly will hold the filter tightly in place.  I'll check it after I go through a tank of gas or so to make sure.  The filter ends up being a little thicker than the original.  The air box lid has to be kind of pushed down the last 1/16th inch or so, so I think it will stay put.
Rob

jasonm.

Rob, I just don't want you to have a hole in the filter. Seems like the element is resting directly against the lid near the flapper door. I have seen what a little bit of vibes over time can do to soft items. If you had a brace over the top of the element to keep the pleats from being pressed on...then there would be no worry.  Just looking out for you...
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

RobTx

I understand Jason, that's why I'll check it every now and then until I'm confident it will work.  Thanks for the heads up.
Rob

QQBS

Am in the last 20% of an extended (since 01/03) repair and maintenance event.  What started out as a pilot jet cleaning to fix a bad idle problem turned into replacement stator #5.  It was putting out 13 volts.  Removal revealed the usual fried insulation.

This last stator went at least 7 years and 40k miles.  I thought that the clipped connector was golden.  Well, it may be, but somethings not and I don't have a clue as to where to put the blame.  Anyway it did go a long time.  Maybe the load from the 130/100 watt bulb had something to do with that.  Who knows?

This time I used a used stator that was free off my parts bike (approx. 25k miles).  Just for grins I also installed the R/R from the same bike.  The stator checked out no continuity, I couldn't get the R/R checked but what the heck, it's not hard to get to.  This time around I clipped and soldered both R/R connectors in the hopes of eliminating potential gremlins.  We'll see.

The carbs had the obligatory plugged pilot jets.  It ran great except at idle so I didn't dip them.  Final fine tuning with vacume columns remains.  Will go with one and half turns out from bottem for starters.  Once again we'll see.

Been needing a new air filter for a long time, but couldn't bring myself to cough up the $40.00US that the Yamadealer wanted.  Read about the $5.00 AutoZone special deal and took a chance.  Looks like it might work out.  Did experiance interferance between the filter and the Flapper actuation rod.  Folded over the contacting filter leaves and no more interferance.  Haven't run it yet but can't see any reason why it won't fly.  We'll see.

VERY INTERESTING DATA:  During this last maintenance, I changed out the spark plugs after they had at least 40K miles on them.  The front plug can be such a pain and all.  The bike was running OK (except for the idle problem) but I decided that it was time.  I run 135 main jets in both carbs.  

Both plugs had identical tan coloring, no soot, carbon or deposits of any kind being evident.  No signs of electrode melting or radial edge dulling.  No insulator damage.  Gaps were between 28 and 30 mms.  They both looked really great.  A minor wire brushing and regapping would probably have rendered another 20K miles of good service.

The adventure continues.  After I get it running I'll see what I end up with.  Until that time.....Cheers.