News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Kick Stand and Missing?

Started by 93stx, April 12, 2003, 09:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

93stx

what in the world do you need a sensor on the kick stand...  I can't figure it out!  What purpose does it serve?  What would happen if it wasn't conected?

also

I started my vision tonight and there seemed to be a lot of smoke and unbirned fuel coming out of the Right side pipe!

Any Ideals, I was thinking that is is missfireing..  it sometime back fires also!

thanks
Nick

George R. Young

When the kickstand is down and you put the running engine in gear, it's supposed to stop. The idea is you can't ride away, and possibly fall on your head in the first left turn, 'cause the sidestand digs in.

Lucky

The side stand switch is part of a safety interlock system and what seems to be failing most often is the relays and the switch.  since the Vision has such a short stand, there's a little more room for error. you could still dump the bike if you forget it's down and lean to the left.

My solution, since my relay is bad, and I installed an oil guage, I wired the side stand switch to a generic automotive relay, and the wire for the red oil light to the relay, so any time the stand is down (with the key on) the red light is on.  it's much simpler and to me more effective.

It would be a simple matter to install a little button light on the plastic filler panel on the 83's  or maybe even attach it to the dash on an 82.  they sell all kinds of 12v lights at Radio Shack.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Or you could bolt a rubber "finger " on the side stand. When the  finger hits the ground the stand would come up, befor it contacted the pavement. In this system there are NO switches, relays or wires. My stand is a little bent , so it pops up, letting me know I forgot it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike