Painting ABS fairing...

Started by Hugh Jass, April 11, 2003, 08:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh Jass

I bought a new universal sport from some guy for half price.  I have converted my Vision to a 7" round headlight (looks awesome) and have my mounting all worked out.  

It looks great, like an early '90s street fighter but I want to paint it to match my bike.

The fairing is made of ABS plastic and has a coat of paint on from the factory.  I know it can be painted but the Maier web-site does not have instructions for painting it.  

Any ideas what type of paint I should use?

Thanks...

RobTx

Pictures man, pictures.  We want to see it.
Rob

Lucky

If it was me i'd sand it down, prime it and paint it with Maco in a can, but that's just me.  In my world, painting & bodywork is an evil, evil thing...I'd rather break a leg, lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

If the original paint is lacquer. Then just sand it with #600 then prime it with a good lacquer primer. Then pick a color...
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Hugh Jass

Painted it today.  Looks great!  As soon as I can borrow a digital camera I'll get some pictures posted.  

This bike was a freebie I picked up along the road with lots of cosmetic work needed.  When I first got it the tank was rusted out.  That did not stop me from strapping a coffee can to the frame and taking it my first which ended 2 miles from my house with an empty coffee can.

After a new heavily puttied tank, cleaned carbs, used mac exhaust, painted frame/swingarm, recovered seat, new mirrors, junkyard guages, new tires, rebuilt front brake, 2nd hand master cylinder, and machined aluminum foot pegs and inserts for the ends of the mac pipes I made in shop class the bike is in its current state of glory for about $350 +work.

I'll post some pictures soon....