News:

Main Menu

Is this safe?

Started by Wayne, April 09, 2005, 07:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne

Can I flush the coolant system on V with water and vinegar safely. Has anyone tried this?

SJB

I flushed my v 10 years ago with just a hose. I'm not aware of anything negative happing. Just drain all the water you can before refilling. I have no idea about the vinegar.
Steve

kiawrench

water /vinegar  mix wont hurt the bike,, just make it smell like a two wheeled pickle.

save a bit of cash, just flush with water hose, refill as per service manual.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Walt_M.

Who told you to use water and vinegar, your girlfriend?
Whale oil beef hooked!

Wayne

This is the method recommended by EngiceIce (www.Engineice.com) and is used by pro-lic. racers in CMRA pro class.

kiawrench

Wayne,,
 ? let them use the vinegar,,, nothing worse than contaminating your cooling passages with something you may not be able to get out.
 ? besides, using vinegar just opens the door to galvanic corrosion .
 ? racers and sellers of mechanic in a can dont mind you using that mix, as they only use those engines for one or two events- after that someone else pays for a new one (they call them sponsors)
    besides, i would almost be willing to bet your title that those guys arent riding around those little racetrack events on 23 year old engines!  Even the new flat trackers that  build the vision engines are buying NOS set-ups from yamaha , not using old  oem engines .
  Now, if you have some willing sponsors, and a relatively reliable supplier for engines,,, keep mixing acidic fluids with aluminum and steel. they can pick up the tab on the new engine for you .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

ProfessorRex

I've used vinegar and water.  The idea IS to have an acidic mixture TEMPORARILY!  Ride around for a bit (an hour tops) then drain the mixture and replace with coolant.  The acidic mixture will remove deposits from the coolant system.  The Vinegar/Water deal is in many service manuals, I see no reason why IN MODERATION it would cause damage to the system.
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Rick G

I don't see the need for it , I've ahd the cooling system apart on quite a few Visions and found NO  scale or anything else. The were all super clean  and  looke das new.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

glennw

I thought douche bags rode Harleys?  ::)
GlennW
Half Mad Max