News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

clunk noise when shifting

Started by greener, March 07, 2003, 11:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greener

Hey guys, I got a problem, when ever I start off by pulling in the clutch and putting the bike into first gear it makes a clunking noise and the bike jerks foward a bit... the other gears from then on are fine.  I figure its the clutch not pulling apart enough but im not sure how to issolate the problem I know of people who have simliar problems with there bikes as well.  Could it be a simple matter of adjusting the clutch?  I tried to adjust the clutch but it mad no difference.  Is this problem only solved by waiting for the gears inside to stop spining after holding in the clutch for 10 seconds or is there a fix I can preform?  thanks for any advice or help you can give.

Cdnlouie

What's it worth to you for a fix ? ???

Well this is your lucky day because this one is for free.  All proceeds from using this advice for profit (and it sounds like you have a few buyers) needs to go to the Ron Ghetti Riders of Vision forum.

The problem is the clutch plates sticking together when the machine is cold and has been sitting say overnight or longer. ?The solution is before you start the bike put it in gear, pull in the clutch and push your bike forward to free the plates.

Start your bike up now and you will notice a very smooth engagment of first gear when you take off. ?This is the nice way to treat your machine and it only takes a few seconds to do it.

This is good safety practice because you never know when the plates are stuck say after a winter sitting and you start the bike and it can take off on you when you put it in gear or jump and give you quite a wake-up call ?:o.

Here's to smooth shifting ? ;)

Louie

Lucky

Also, if the clutch cable is streched (and they do streach) no amount of adjusting will allow the clutch to disengage completely, and that does sound like the problem
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black