News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Rubber repair materials?

Started by Lucky, March 06, 2003, 12:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

I know some of you guys have people working on rebuild kits for the carbs, but as a matter of experimentation (at least) I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on where to obtain some of the material used in the diaphrams in the fuel pump, accelerator pump & petcock.

Also, anyone have any idea for a product that would be suitable for patching these diaphrams?  I was thinking poss POR 15 or something used with the original type rubber.

This then brings up the possability of completely replacing the diaphrams with new rubber, using the old metal centers.  Off hand I don't know if their stamped on, or bonded, but I suspect their stamped.

Of course anything here would need to be fuel proof, and have to be able to withstand the constant "movement" stresses.

I don't have anything that needs repair, just wondering..  I know the petcock repair kits are ava for under $30, but if they don't include the other diaphrams with the rebuild kits, i'd just like to have an alternative available.

Whadya think?  --Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

bikeseamus

Lucky  The guys I mentioned in the CARB PARTS AND TUNING TIPS replace diaphragms. You might ask them. If enough of us ask, they might make a bunch of them for us. They got the technology, and it's actually what they specialize in. I think their philosophy says it all. You might check them out.

Rick G

Somebody on the old forum mentioned taking his diaphrame's to his local lawn mower repair shop. Some of those have pumper carbs with diaphrames much like ours.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike